On 8 January 2014 11:06, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> If the universe reached a maximum and started to contract (which now seems
> unlikely) the maximum possible entropy would still be much higher than the
> actual entropy so entropy would continue to increase until the contracted
> enough to reduce the maximum to near the actual.  If it were the reverse of
> the Big Bang it would be a very sudden contraction, aka "deflation".  Of
> course it might actually be symmetric.  Lawrence Schulman has a nice book
> about this "Times Arrow and Quantum Measurement".  He did some computer
> simulations by just considering randomized initial conditions and then
> post-selecting the ones that satisfied the final conditions.

We actually don't know what would happen in a "bouncing universe", or even
if such a thing is physically possible. Certainly my mental image is that
entropy would continue to increase, at least until it was approaching the
Big Crunch, which would itself look something like a Big Bang in reverse
(but with black holes thrown in). But if the BC acts as a boundary
condition on the universe, as the BB appears to do, then that
*could*constrain matter to follow an opposite arrow of time, no matter
how
anti-intuitive that seems - or there could be a gradual switch over from
one arrow to another. Actually I once tried to write a story to this
effect, with dark stars sucking in light and time-reversed aliens trying to
flip their entropy gradient so they could avoid their BC, aka our BB. But I
couldn't make it work very well, and gave up...