Dear Bruno,

  You wrote:
"AR provides the neutral monism!
Comp is neutral monism. Neither mind, nor matter are taken as primitive.
Both emerge from the additive-multiplicative structure of arithmetic (AR),
and that structure provides the neutral stuff."

Ontological neutrality is that there are no particular properties or
orders. AR has a particular set of properties and an order, thus it cannot
be considered as neutral. It must includes all possibilities and orderings
equally. Numbers have particular properties and orders so how is it that
you can think of them as being a neutral monism?

No Bruno, you are advocating a form of Idealism, almost like Berkeley, but
unlike Berkeley you do not fall prey to Mr. Johnson's criticism by
appealing to the "kickability" of prime numbers, the truth of theorems
(within theories), etc. Nice move, but it is still flawed.

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 3:53 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On 11 Jan 2014, at 06:05, Stephen Paul King wrote:
>
> Dear Brent,
>
>   I will try a crude summary and hope to not be misunderstood... It starts
> with the Stone duality, a well known isomorphism between Boolean algebras
> and totally disconnected compact Hausdorff spaces. The former are
> identified with minds (logical, computational, numerical, etc) and the
> latter with physical objects (what is more "physical" that a space that
> looks exactly like Democritus' "atoms in a
> void"<http://www.scottaaronson.com/democritus/lec1.html>
> ?.
>    This solves the mind-body linkage problem of Descartes' dualism. The
> paper <http://boole.stanford.edu/pub/ratmech.pdf> then discusses how
> interactions between pairs of minds (generalizations of Boolean algebras
> identified as "states") is mediated via pairs of bodies (generalizations of
> Stone spaces to include mass, spin, charge, potentials,... physics
> identified as "events"). A crude diagram of this relation for the evolution
> of a single entity is:
>
> ... -> Body -> Body' -> ...
>            |             |
> ... <- Mind <- Mind' <- ...
>
> where the "|" symbol is the Stone isomorphism, "->" is the physical
> evolution of one event to the next and "<-" is the logical arrow of
> implication.
>
>   Mathematics as considered my most people usually ignores evolution of
> logical structures, such as Boolean algebras, and so the difference between
> mind and mind' is not considered. Now that computers are commonplace, the
> idea that logical structures evolve makes a lot more sense! A computation
> is the transformation of information and since logical structures capture
> the relations of the information, it is natural to consider this theory.
>
>   In this theory, minds and bodies (including brains!) are not separable
> substances but are isomorphs that have "dynamics" whose "arrows" point in
> opposite directions. Physical process moves forward from event to event' in
> sequences of time according to thermodynamics, etc. and logic "looks"
> backward to ensure that any new state is consistent with previous states.
> This implies an elegant solution to the measurement problem of QM!
> Differences between states and parameters of time can be subdivided as
> finely as one wishes; even to the smoothness of continua.
>   It is what the logical 'side of the coin" does to select physical events
> that won me over to Pratt's theory: a physical transition from event x at
> time t to event x' at time t' is allowed if and only if the state x'* at t'
> does not imply information that would contradict prior states at t^-1,
> t^-2, etc. Basically, events will occur iff they do not imply a
> contradiction of previously allowed events. This automatically solves the
> White Rabbit problem by disallowing events that imply logical
> contradictions.
> [...]

Kindest Regards,

Stephen Paul King

Senior Researcher