John,

I agree completely that free will must be well defined before it can be
intelligently discussed, and I agree that the usual definitions are often
nonsensical. (Particularly the notion that free will is the ability of some
higher self to override base instinctual desires.)

I give a coherent definition of free will in my book on Reality. Free will
is simply the fact that some bounded system generates actions that are not
entirely determined by its environmental inputs. This can be due only to
the fact that there are random quantum processes at work IN that system as
there are in all systems. However in some systems, e.g. digital devices,
they are designed such as to damp out that quantum randomness, so as to
generate reliably deterministic results.

The degree of free will in any system depends on the details of complexity
in that system and how its quantum randomness is either damped, or
amplified in meaningful ways as it is in biological systems which are able
to generate actions that are not entirely determined by their environmental
inputs. Biological systems, including humans, have developed internal
programs that represent their external environments, and are able to
generate free will choices on the basis of quantum randomness bubbling up
the hierarchies of their internal computations so as to effectively fulfill
their instinctual and other imperatives in a non-deterministic manner.

Biological organisms respond to their environments, but they are not
determined by their environments. That's what free will all about.

Edgar