On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 5:38 PM, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anesthetic chemicals temporally destroy consciousness, and 115 years about
> Meyer and Overton discovered a strong correlation between how potent a
> chemical anesthesia was and how well it dissolves oils and lipids (fats and
> waxes). Even today the reason for this connection is unclear

Couldn't this just be myelin being dissolved or some other lipid rich part
of CNS pathways? Would explain why a drunk doesn't uhm... transmit action
potentials as promptly as when sober. This lag thing in subjective time...
Plus, after a big fat meal, I tend to have more tolerance for alcohol +
warnings when to take which meds b4 or after meals etc. I didn't think this
was such a mystery.

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 8:54 PM, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 12:23 PM, Edgar L. Owen <edgaro...@att.net> wrote:
>
> > There are thousands of chemicals that are good organic solvents that
>> aren't anesthetics. I don't think that has anything to do with it...
>>

> Why do you think some people like to inhale cleaning products or airplane
> glue which is full of industrial solvents?

Same reason they drink ethanol in various preparations, which btw IS an
industrial solvent, of which there are thousands. And yes, also ones that
are more euphoric, sexually gratifying, and less toxic than ethanol... but
our governments have taken steps to protect you from those by prohibiting
them. Osama, your security, saving you from yourself, the children etc.

But every now and then, some curious, smart, or ignorant soul will feel
weird in a nice way, exposed to some solvent in some fashion then...

Boom, sales of some untested solvent start getting produced, imported, and
exported at incredible rates until some tax people wonder why certain
groups are getting incredibly rich, incredibly fast; companies sprouting
like mushrooms to provide bike chain solvent bath salt lifestyle product
smell cushions, that could help with many conditions, just no guarantees,
but something that could never be "poison", in any case until...

"Ok, party's over. No more industrial solvent nonsense... Really? You guys
will consume something that machines use? Why... the very thought of it!
People really are crazy. If they only knew how much satisfaction a simple
wine cellar, with a modest collection naturally, brings into our dreary
lives."

> It might destroy their liver but it will  get them high before they die.

Are you implying there to be a way to get high after death? I demand to be
informed. MWI or Copenhagen? How?

> Anyway do a web search for "Meyer Overton" or "Meyer Overton Rule", you'll
> find tons of stuff; 115 years old and still going strong. I'd like to know
> why.

Paracelsus, I paraphrase "Everything is poison, there is poison in
everything. Only the dose (number freaks, keep calm) determines whether you
die, feel relief, are cured, get brain damage, kill somebody on the way
home, or simply have a good time sharing unforgettable moments with lovers
and/or friends."

In this small and particular case, as well as in music, matter seems
numbers' bitch, at this point in the game. PGC