On Jan 17, 2014, at 1:54 PM, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 12:23 PM, Edgar L. Owen <edgaro...@att.net> wrote:

> There are thousands of chemicals that are good organic solvents that aren't anesthetics. I don't think that has anything to do with it...

Why do you think some people like to inhale cleaning products or airplane glue which is full of industrial solvents? It might destroy their liver but it will get them high before they die. Anyway do a web search for "Meyer Overton" or "Meyer Overton Rule", you'll find tons of stuff; 115 years old and still going strong. I'd like to know why.

I think that one possible explaination is that neurochemistry is a very fragile thing. And solvents, being reactive, can easily throw a wrench into the whole thing. Even non-reactive chemicals, like Xenon have been found to make a nearly ideal anastheitc.

Inserting new chemicals, which we haven't evolved to handle, into the brain are almost sure to disrupt things. If the chemical can be cleared away without lasting harm then it can make a useful anesthetic.

Jason

  John K Clark