On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 9:54 PM, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think that one possible explaination is that neurochemistry is a very
> fragile thing. And solvents, being reactive, can easily throw a wrench into
> the whole thing.

But why does anesthesia just disrupt consciousness? Why does the Brain
still have the ability to tell the lungs how to breathe? And usually if you
screw up something very complex to such a degree that it quits functioning
entirely then it's irreversible; but not with anesthesia, after a few hours
you're as conscious as you ever were. Good thing too, imagine what our
world would be like if anesthesia was impossible.

> Even non-reactive chemicals, like Xenon have been found to make a nearly
> ideal anastheitc.

And Xenon has a much larger fat\water solubility ratio that any gas in the
air, so the Meyer Overton Rule would predict that it would be a
anesthetic,  and we find that it is. And Helium has one of the lowest
fat\water solubility ratios known, much lower than Nitrogen, so the Meyer
Overton Rule would predict that Helium would have virtually zero narcotic
effect and would be a good gas for deep sea divers to substitute for
Nitrogen to prevent Nitrogen narcosis; and we find that indeed Helium works
great for that and the Meyer Overton Rule is right yet again.

  John K Clark