On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 4:48 PM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> After all my lessons in logic, I feel duty bound to point out that
> Einstein only said that he didn't believe in a personal God.

No, Einstein had more to say on the subject than just "I do not believe in
a personal God".  Besides not answering or even hearing our prayers
Einstein's "God" has no purpose or goal ("I have never imputed to Nature a
purpose or a goal").  And Einstein's God had no intelligence or
consciousness ( God is not "anything that could be understood as
anthropomorphic").  And Einstein's "God" has nothing to do with morality
("A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy,
education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would
indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment
and hope of reward after death").

To Einstein "God" meant  "the unbounded admiration for the structure of the
world", which shows that even Einstein can fall in love with the sound of a
word too much.

  John K Clark