On 29 January 2014 22:15, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The problem that concerns me about this way of looking at things is that
>> any and all behaviour associated with consciousness - including, crucially,
>> the articulation of our very thoughts and beliefs about conscious phenomena
>> - can at least in principle be exhausted by an extrinsic account. But if
>> this be so, it is very difficult indeed to understand how such extrinsic
>> behaviours could possibly make reference to any "intrinsic" remainder, even
>> were its existence granted. It isn't merely that any postulated remainder
>> would be redundant in the explanation of such behaviour, but that it is
>> hardly possible to see how an inner dual could even be accessible in
>> principle to a complete (i.e. causally closed) extrinsic system of
>> reference in the first place.
>>

> Right, because the extrinsic perspective is blind to the limits of causal
> closure.

But I'm afraid the problem is precisely that it behaves as if it is NOT in
fact blind to such limits. As Bruno points out in a recent response to John
Clark, if we rely on the causal closure of the extrinsic account (and which
of us does not?) then we commit ourselves to the view that there must be
such an account, at some level, of any behaviour to which we might
otherwise wish to impute a conscious origin. However, my point above is
that the problem is in fact even worse than this. In fact, it amounts to a
paradox.

The existence of a causally closed extrinsic account forces us to the view
that the very thoughts and utterances - even our own - that purport to
refer to irreducibly conscious phenomena must also be fully explicable
extrinsically. But how then could any such sequence of extrinsic events
possibly be linked to anything outside its causally-closed circle of
explanation? To put this baldly, even whilst asserting with absolute
certainty "the fact that I am conscious" I am forced nonetheless to accept
that this very assertion need have nothing to do (and, more strongly,
cannot have anything to do) with the fact that I am conscious!

I take no credit for being the originator of this insight, although it
isn't IMO acknowledged as often as it should be, perhaps because of its
very intractability. It's sometimes referred to as the Paradox of
Phenomenal Judgement. David Chalmers, for example, acknowledges it in
passing in The Conscious Mind, fails to offer any solution and then
proceeds to ignore it. Gregg Rosenberg - who if you haven't read perhaps
you should - deals with it a little more explicitly in A Place for
Consciousness, but IMO ultimately also fails to square this particular
circle. In fact I know of no mind-body theory, other than comp, that
confronts it head-on and suggests at least the shape of a possible
solution. That said, do you see what the paradox is and if you do, how
specifically does your theory deal with it?

David