On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 8:28 PM, Edgar L. Owen <edgaro...@att.net> wrote:

> Jesse,
>
> That's possible but it's only one quote and considering the circumstances
> it could have just been an attempt to provide comfort to the grieving
> family. Also Einstein is known to have spoken metaphorically at times and
> even to seemingly contradict himself on occasion (eg. on religious belief),
> so I think one would need to have more than just that one quote to make a
> convincing case.

All of his statements on religion I've seen seem completely consistent with
a Spinoza-esque pantheism, where do you think he contradicted himself on
religion? As for block time, that wasn't his only comment in support of the
idea, for example at http://everythingforever.com/einstein.htm we find the
following even more explicit endorsement of the block time view:

'Since there exists in this four dimensional structure [space-time] no
longer any sections which represent "now" objectively, the concepts of
happening and becoming are indeed not completely suspended, but yet
complicated. It appears therefore more natural to think of physical reality
as a four dimensional existence, instead of, as hitherto, the evolution of
a three dimensional existence.'

> On the other hand I suspect one can find very many Einstein quotes in
> which he mentions the PRESENT which would stand in direct contradiction to
> a belief in a block universe.

Did he use it in the context of talking about the nature of time in physics
or philosophy, or was he just using it in the ordinary everyday way, like
talking about the "present political situation" or something? If the
latter, I think eternalists talk that way all the time, simultaneity issues
make no practical difference when you're just talking about events confined
to the Earth. And aside from simultaneity issues, talking about the
"present" doesn't preclude the possibility that other times are equally
real, it's just an indexical term like "here".

Jesse