On 16 February 2014 16:17, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On 16 Feb 2014, at 15:32, David Nyman wrote:
>
> On 16 February 2014 09:39, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
>

>> <snip>

> From "thought cannot act on matter" we arrive at "thought cannot refer to
> matter", and well, this is almost the consequence of step 8, as it says
> that the notion of matter has nothing to do with a material reality. Then
> we can still refer to the moon, but we know it is a sort of collective
> lawful "hallucination", or more exactly a mean on a set of 3p well defined
> computation.

Yes, at least it seems that thought cannot refer to the sort of matter of
which it would be an epiphenomenon!

<snip>

It illustrates, perhaps better than step 8, the difficulty of wanting a
> primitive matter having a primitive ontological reality capable of
> singularizing a conscious person capable to refer to it.
>
> I have to think more about this.

In effect, might step 8 be regarded as a reductio of the premise that the
laws of matter to which we can refer and those of any putative ur-matter
can be in any way coterminous? Under CTM, it is consistent to suppose that
the observable laws of matter must derive from some principled notion of
computation. At the outset we grant the assumption that such a notion of
computation must ultimately be grounded in primitive physical activity.
Accordingly, we propose a system of such physical activity that is
initially acceptable as grounding some set of computational relations
corresponding to a conscious subject and hence to the physical laws
observable by such a subject. Then we show that we can systematically
change the physical contingencies such that every last vestige of these
relations is evacuated even while all relevant physical events continue to
go through. This in effect provides a reductio of the original premise,
under CTM: That the observable physical laws can be supposed to derive
directly from a more primitive physical activity and simultaneously from
any principled notion of computation consistently extractable from such
activity. Since both cannot be the case, we must opt for one or the other.

> However, one distinction between arithmetic / computation as an ontology,
> and some kind of putative ur-physics, is that it is more difficult to
> discern any principled motivation whatsoever to derive "reference" in a
> primitive physics. A typical response to this reference problem is to
> justify CTM by smuggling an ad hoc notion of computation into physics.
>

> Yes. That is why at first sight I took the discovery of the quantum
> universal machine as a blow for comp. I thought that the quantum formalism
> provided a notion of physical computability, but it brought only a notion
> of physical computation, which is not excluded with computationalism (it is
> a sort of direct exploitation of the statistical nature of the computations
> below our substitution level).

Could you elaborate a little on the distinction you see between physical
computability and physical computation?