On Saturday, March 1, 2014, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, February 28, 2014 3:31:25 PM UTC-5, stathisp wrote:
>

> On Friday, February 28, 2014, Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Thursday, February 27, 2014 7:54:53 PM UTC-5, stathisp wrote:
>
> On 28 February 2014 01:05, Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com> wrote:

> describe
> involuntary
> hand
> unaffected
> context
> limb
> reported,
> of

> function,
> zombie
> felt
> your

> inorganic
> still
> way
> awareness
> >>
> >> This example shows that if there is a lesion in the neural circuitry
> >> it affects consciousness. If you fix the lesion such that the
> >> circuitry works properly but the consciousness is affected (keeping
> >> the environmental input constant) then that implies that consciousness
> >> is generated by something other than the brain.
> >

> > Paying attention to the circuitry is a red herring. What I'm bringing up
> is
> > how dissociation of functions identified with the self does not make
> sense
> > for the functionalist view of consciousness. How do you give a program
> > 'alien subroutine syndrome'? Why does the program make a distinction
> between
> > the pure function of the subroutine and some feeling of belonging that
> is
> > generated by something other than the progr
>

> I'm sure there is some difference, but it doesn't affect the functionality
> of the hand. Under functionalism, since we can observe no difference
> between the function of the body with or without AHS, we should assume no
> such thing as AHS. If consciousness is like AHS, and the hand is like the
> brain or body, then we should not be able to see a difference between a
> conscious brain and simulation of brain activity that is unconscious.

 There is an observable difference in the body with AHS: the subject says
that it doesn't feel like his hand. This happens because the neural
circuits between the hand and the language centres are disrupted. If they
were not disrupted the language centres would get normal input and the
subject would say everything was normal.

--
Stathis Papaioannou