On Saturday, March 1, 2014 7:42:13 PM UTC-5, stathisp wrote:

> On Saturday, March 1, 2014, Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com<javascript:>>
> wrote:

>>> It's important for an animal to be able to distinguish self from
>>> non-self, as can be seen if two animals are locked in combat - one that
>>> can't tell its own limb from its opponent's is just as likely to bite
>>> itself as its prey. Repeat that often enough and you have a strong
>>> evolutionary pressure to distinguish self from non-self. I would imagine
>>> alien hand syndrome is a breakdown of this system.
>>>

>> Sure, but I don't see that functionalism provides a basis to distinguish
>> self from non-self other than function. As long as the functionality of the
>> hand is there, and other people cannot tell any difference in what the hand
>> can do, there should be no basis for any particular distress. We could make
>> up a different evolutionary story too - that being physically close to your
>> family or social group is important to survival and reproduction, so that
>> there is a strong evolutionary pressure to suppress the difference between
>> self and not-self. If it were the case that AHS were a breakdown in a
>> global system like that, I would expect that victims might identify their
>> family as strangers, etc.
>>
>> The particulars aren't the important thing though. I use AHS to add to
>> blindsight and synesthesia as examples where the function-feeling
>> equivalence which functionalism depends on appears to be violated.
>>

> You have too simplistic a view of what "function" means in the context of
> an intelligent being.

I think that you have too naive a view of what function means.

> That is actually your whole problem: you look at machine, imagine that you
> can see how it works, then look at a human, can't figure out how it works,
> so conclude there must be something non-machine like in the human.

It has nothing to do with not being able to figure out how humans work.Nothing
to do with human consciousness or biology at all. I'm *always* only
talking about the bare metal basics of awareness itself. Sensation.
Detection. Signal. You take them for granted, but I don't. If you take them
for granted, then it is no great surprise that you can imagine
consciousness coming from function.

> Yet the very examples you use demonstrate that even mysterious-seeming
> behaviours such as those displayed in ALH are generated by neural circuitry
> which can be easily disrupted.

It doesn't matter where they are generated, all that matters is whether
possession of one's own function can be defined as a computable object
under functionalism. I think that it is a clear double standard to say that
the 'mine-ness' of a hand can of course be detected, but the 'mine-ness' of
a human experience would require zombies to justify. You're looking at the
wrong thing. I don't care about the details of any particular machine or
organism, I care about the properties of awareness being incompatible in
every way to the properties of function unless awareness comes first.

Craig