On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 4:22 PM, <ghib...@gmail.com> wrote:

> you said somewhere you weren't bothered about the 0.8C rise to date

That's right, the Human race has never been more numerous, longer lived,
better educated or richer than it is today so global warming seems to have
caused little harm and may even have been helpful. That shouldn't be a big
surprise, after all we don't know what the perfect temperature to maximize
human happiness is, but I doubt it's exactly .8C less than it is right now.

> I didn't catch whether you are concerned about the projections by 2100?

No I am not at all concerned by the 2100 projections, I say this for 5
reasons:

1) I have little confidence in long term climate models. Anybody reading
them would think CO2 is the most important greenhouse gas, but it isn't,
water vapor is. And they can't answer one important question, if the
world's temperature increases will that create more clouds or fewer clouds?
It's a very simple question with profound consequences because clouds
regulate the amount of solar energy that runs the entire climate show.
Increased temperature means more water evaporates from the sea, but it also
means the atmosphere can hold more water before it is forced to form
clouds. So who wins this tug of war? Nobody knows, its too complicated.
Water vapor is a far more powerful greenhouse gas than CO2 and unlike CO2
it undergoes phase changes at earthly temperatures, it can be a solid a
liquid or a gas which makes it astronomically more complicated than CO2
which is always just a gas, at least on this planet.  And then there is the
important issue of global dimming, the world may be getting warmer but it
is also getting dimmer. For reasons that are not clearly understood but may
be related to clouds, during the day at any given temperature it takes
longer now for water to evaporate than it did 50 years ago; climate models
can't explain why it exists today much less know if the effect will be
larger or smaller in 2100.

2) Even if the climate models are correct it is not at all clear if on the
global scale the increase in temperature would be a good thing or a bad
thing; however I do know that far more people freeze to death than die of
heatstroke.

3) Even if it's a bad thing, as of 2014 no environmentalist has proposed a
cure for global warming that wasn't far worse than the disease, although
some non-environmentalists may have.

4) Even if it is a bad thing there are plenty of worse problems that will
hit before 2100 to worry about. Most science stories are under reported in
the mainstream press, but global warming is almost as over reported as
ancient astronauts or stories about Nostradamus.

5) In 2100 if we find that global warming is causing us serious trouble we
can deal with it then when out toolbox for fixing things will be vastly
larger than it is now.

  John K Clark