On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 2:47 PM, Jesse Mazer <laserma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> That looks like a pretty crappy match to me. What the hell happened 450
>> million years ago? And why did the CO2 start to drop 150 million years ago
>> but the temperature start to climb at the same time?
>>

> >I suspect you are asking these questions not because you are genuinely
> curious, and have an open-minded attitude about the possibility that
> climate scientists might have reasonable answers, but [...]

OK OK, I'm closed minded, stupid, enjoy bad environments and am in general
am just a terrible human being; but my questions are still valid and
deserve good answers because before you initiate a policy that will
impoverish the world for many generations and kill lots and lots and lots
of people you should be at least as sure of yourself as President Bush was
that there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. Are you?

> On the question of what happened 450 million years ago in the Ordovician
> period, I googled "Ordovician temperature" and found a discussion of some
> scientific research at
> http://www.skepticalscience.com/CO2-levels-during-the-late-Ordovician.htmlwhich
>  suggests there are at least some viable hypotheses about how the
> temperature drop could be explained in the framework of existing climate
> models:

Hypotheses that answer scientific puzzles are a dime a dozen,  hypotheses
that correctly answer scientific puzzles are not.

> Young determined that during the late Ordovician, rock weathering was at
> high levels while volcanic activity, which adds CO2 to the atmosphere,
> dropped. This led to CO2 levels falling below 3000 parts per million which
> was low enough to initiate glaciation - the growing of ice sheets.

So CO2 at 3000 parts per million will lead to worldwide glaciation but CO2
at 380 parts per million will lead to catastrophic warming. Huh?

> >> And take a look at the temperature at zero years ago, does it look
>> colder or hotter than the average for the last 600 million years?
>>

> > Of course in the long term, life will be able to adapt to whatever rise
> in temperature is caused by global warming, but sufficiently fast rises may
> be too much for most species to adapt to

The solutions proposed by environmentalists (close all nuclear reactors
immediately, stop using coal, drastically reduce the use of oil and gas)
will cause things to change one hell of a lot faster than anything nature
could dream up. For example, The sea has risen about 6 inches during the
last century, and it has risen about 6 inches a century for the last 6
thousand years. Not very surprising really, the sea has risen 410 feet in
the last 20 thousand years and you wouldn't expect a powerful trend like
that to stop on a dime. And I think we can handle another 6 inches by 2114.

 > the rate of change over the next century is likely to exceed anything in
> mammalian history

Mammalian history started about 240 million years ago so I have only one
word to respond to the above. BULLSHIT.

  John K Clark