From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of LizR

Yes they're trying to reduce smog but that should still have that effect to
some extent (reducing AGW). But yes, clean green energy is needed - maybe
nuclear reactors (Russia is doing a good line in small portable reactors, I
believe). Probably not THE best solution but needs must...

Solar PV is on, continues to be on and has long been on a path of geometric
growth and of rapidly falling prices. Within five years or so it is going to be
the least expensive form of electric power generation bar none; and will have a
very large existing manufacturing base able to churn out the equivalent of many
new nuclear power plants per year. People need to understand geometric growth
in order to understand the what is going on with PV. Already PV supplies about
1% of the world’s electricity. It’s capacity (and hence capacity to produce) is
doubling every two and a half years or so. How many doublings of 1% does it
take to become the dominant electric energy supply?

Not that many with just five doublings it reaches 32% of total generation,
which would definitely make it the dominant electric energy player. I have been
hearing prognosticators pronounce solar dead every year – several times a year
– for the past ten years – if I had a nickel for every “in the know” person who
has told me it is dead I could at least buy myself a very nice dinner. For an
alleged corpse it has proven to be remarkably dynamic…. No?

The global – Asia centered – solar sector, already has a well-developed global
supply chain from mine to rooftop; it has achieved the kind of scale that
ensures it can and will continue to muscle its way into the world electricity
markets, inexorably expanding its market share.

Solar is going to win on price. And that is the reason it is going to win.