Oops. I meant to say more but hit a wrong key and somehow sent that above
one-liner. And there's no way to edit your posts...oh well, to continue...

> On 8 June 2014 10:08, <ghib...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> But...the truth is no one minded too much PGC's attacks on me. Not
>> responding to my responses. In the most recent response, I even invited him
>> to choose one of Bruno's objections that I hadn't responded to, and I would
>> demonstrate the reason I'd stopped responding was that Bruno presented 'no
>> case to answer'. Silence from PGC.
>>

> I'm afraid I missed this. I don't have time to read everything and
especially tend to skip those incredibly long posts with stuff interpolated
(is that the word?) into the text and nested 15 levels deep. And I am quite
interested in this argument, too! That is, I believe I can see both sides,
so I am interested in evidence for either. As I jokingly say, on days with
an R in them I feel Bruno has the answer to life, the universe and
everything, on the other days I feel the force of the materialist
objections (amongst others) and feel that they "refute it THUS!"

>> PGC said a fair bit worse about me than simple liar. What is it...the
>> guy's flamboyant use of language gets him a free pass in here? When has he
>> ever described anything he believes in, in plain English?

I'm sure I've seen some plain English posts from PGC, and some that seem to
me to make good points. But I can't quote chapter and verse on that. But
flowery language abounds here, methinks, so I try to parse it and either it
looks like a camel to me, my lord, or a cloud.

>> Why am I the guy that has to put up writing dozens of efforts at
>> explaining what I mean, put down's from people like PGC who value their
>> dizzy comp experiences, my arguments ignored by Bruno....and all of this
>> despite it being me to be mentioning a take on falsification that the vast
>> majority of science, historically and now would agree with?

You should see me on the Tronnies thread, or trying to explain why time
symmetry in physics may be important for understanding quantum theory.
YANA.....You are not alone.

>> And now this new issue, with PGC and Bruno making constructive arguments
>> about scientists accepting certain arguments, and so by some sort of logic
>> accepting Bruno's theory. Which happens to involve things like eternal life
>> for us, consciousness not being generated by our brains...direct links to
>> MWI. That latest argument, I simply rejected by pointing out that not
>> everyone does accept MWI, who accept QM.

No, indeed not. Although sometimes the reasons aren't very convincing (Jim
Al Khalili just really likes Bohm's take, or so he told me). But anyway
consensus views get short thrift on this forum.

>> These are really really controversial claims, and there's no way it's
>> reasonable to think that if someone accepts comp as some high level
>> proposal, that if they were forced to choose between that and all of the
>> above, they can be relied on to stick with comp.
>>
>> And if they can't be relied on...if there's a reasonable prospect
>> scientists will rather reject comp than accept infinities of dreams, and
>> eternal life, and consciousness outside the body...if there's a reasonable
>> chance they'll rather reject comp than accept that, then the thing to do
>> WITH INTEGRITY is acknowledge that, and not be going around saying they
>> accept something.
>>
>> Yes comp strikes me as highly contraversial, which is why have been
trying to get to grips with it, to decide where I stand. But I have got
stuck at the MGA and (I think) some Kripkean logic. I can't get even an
infinity of computations to grok some of that stuff.

>> I'm dropping this now. I'm technically saying sorry for calling someone a
>> liar, but for everything else I think the integrity issues are somewhere
>> else. And it really doesn't matter if you all want to gang up and not see
>> any of these issues. Collective blindspots are hardly anything new in the
>> world.
>>
>> I think "gang up" is probably the last thing the members of this forum
will do!

("Die, my dear Doctor? Why, that's the last thing I shall do!")