On 6/10/2014 4:22 PM, David Nyman wrote:
But to reiterate once more,
if we are tempted to see this as a sign that the search for further
explanation is futile, we should first reflect whether we have hit the
buffers of a particular explanatory strategy, rather than the limits
of explanation tout court.

I do see it as futile, and I think that it is futile under any explanatory strategy whatsoever. And this is why it is referred to as 1p. I think you're asking for an explanation that can't exist. But I'm willing to be shown wrong. Can you say what form such an explanation might take? That is apparently what you refer to in writing:

"That is, the emulation of computation and hence the universal machine in arithmetic could motivate the missing relation to a distinctively "supernumerary" domain - the modes of arithmetical truth - that is both irreducible to its base and (possibly) demonstrably coterminous with the specifics of 1p phenomena."

But I don't understand it. "distinctively supernumerary" sounds to me like an explanation in terms of something not 1p and hence having the same failing in satisfying the demand for explanation as the explanation in terms of brain physics.