On 13 June 2014 03:52, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> I think you are assuming the point in question, i.e. that all the physical
> interactions of brains with the painting and the rest of the world are
> irrelevant and that the "physical" description of the painting is *just* the
> pigment on the canvas.  You take all that other interaction, which also has
> both physical and psychological description and leave it out and then you
> say the physical description leaves out something essential.  That seems to
> imply that you believe philosophical zombies are possible?

No, I think it just means that I pushed this particular metaphor
beyond its breaking point. You are, of course, correct to say that an
adequate physical description must include the relevant context. And I
agree that what is relevant in context may be moot. However, my basic
point was that, under physicalism, the ultimate goal is to be able to
give an exhaustive, contextualised account of a given system
exclusively in terms of its *physical relations*. And this is the case
whether or not we wish to distinguish one descriptive level as
"ontological" and another as "epistemological. In the final analysis
it's all - ex hypothesi - physics.

We seem to have agreed that physicalism and computationalism rely on
different assumptions about what one might call the hierarchy of
derivation. So, under physicalism, both computation and mind are
assumed to derive from (in the sense of being alternative descriptions
of) some ultimately basic formulation of matter (to whatever depths
that might have to descend). Under computationalism, by contrast, both
matter and mind are assumed to derive from some ultimately basic
formulation of computation.

The crucial dissimilarity is then that mind is not appealed to, under
physicalism, in accounting for the origin of matter (which is basic).
This makes it coherent, at least in principle, to ask for an
exhaustive physical accounting of any given state of affairs. In the
final analysis *everything* must be reducible, by assumption, to one
or another description of some basic set of underlying physical
relations.

Under computationalism, by contrast, the epistemological logic is
absolutely central in differentiating the lawful appearances of matter
from the exhaustive redundancy of the computational base. Hence on
these assumptions, even in principle, no state of affairs above the
level of the basic ontology could ever be exhaustively accounted for
by any catalogue of descriptions, however sophisticated or
multi-levelled, of its merely physical dispositions, absent the
selective logic of its epistemology.

David