On 24 Jun 2014, at 17:34, spudboy100 via Everything List wrote:

What about this Irish Times article? It seems to be out of the box thinking. I don't know, if true, that it has any value for the human species? But it might in my imagination. My imagination, plus 3.50, can get me a coffee latte. Any thoughts, condemnatory or laudatory.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/what-if-god-were-part-of-the-natural-order-1.1836816

A platonist believes more in god (truth, universal mind) than in nature (a collective stable hallucination brought by the confluence of relative stable number dream).

To "naturalize" god is basically a word play, if not the same sort of blaspheme than pretending some human are god.

Bruno

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Tue, Jun 24, 2014 3:39 am
Subject: Re: Pluto bounces back!

On 23 Jun 2014, at 18:39, Richard Ruquist wrote:

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
Dear John,

it is wasted time and effort to argue "who is right" in a question that raises 2 billion children in a 'faith' they will live by - AND such 'faith' does include the killing of 'infidels' (meaning: who do not share their faith to the last comma) and many more peculiarities which our part of the world would not accept anymore. There is no question about 'truth', believability, oracles and supernatural wisdom, there is a 1500 year old power over billions of people with no questions asking and willing to do whatever they believe has to be done.

It is the same problem with christianism, but such structure has shown to be able to evolve a bit. Then I would differentiate muslims, literalist muslim, and fanatics. Only the later are dangerous.

I think that Samiya is open to discussion, even if it is not clear how far she is to doubt the literal Quran, which of course is necessary at the start if only to see if it contains anything "scientific" (in physics, biology, ... but also theology).

This hides the real roots of fundamentalism which is that we have forbid the use of science (that is the skeptical spirit since well, indeed 1500 years.

Regarding skepticism, the High Holy Days service of Judaism contains a prayer for the value of doubt. Not sure how far back the origin of that prayer is in time, but it certainly contributes to regard that Jews have for science.

Interesting. In fact judaism; like taoism, and branches of buddhism encourage the comments to the sacred texts, and allow a sort of jurisprudence making possible some notion of amendment, and favorize the non literal reading of texts.

Google does not seem to know of its existence.

The net does not know everything, and contains a lot of propaganda of many kinds.

Bruno

Richard

There were argumentations a millennium ago, but the sword answered.
Wars and wars.
We have different vocabularies and both sides understand things differently.

Those are political, if not economical war, disguised in religious war.

I do not say which part is 'better-or-worse' I am just sorry for an advanced worldview getting erased by a violent ancient force that overwhelms our civilisation. (Q: are WE civil, indeed?)

An ancient force like fire can erase in few weeks what needed an incredibly long/deep history like a tree or a forest.

It is in the nature of wiseness and advanced mind to be the easy prey for violence.

Are we civil? Well, officially, the US is no more since the 31 december 2011 (NDAA 12). But the bad seed comes from something older than Kennedy's assassination.

There is a problem with radical islamism, but the real problem is in the exploitation of that problem by bandits to hide their lucrative criminal activities.

The war on drugs and the war on terror are de facto non stopping wars which constantly create and fuel its "enemy".

The value of money is based on trust which needs *fair* competition, and a notion of genuine use, but the society get a cancer when money is used to create "fake money", based on lies or on problems created for that purpose.

Bandits might be a progress compared to dictator using god to justify its job. So we are not civil, but still can become.

Virgin lĂ´bian number seem civil at the start. Uncivilness seems to be only a bad habit, a "passage" similar to some dilemmas in game theory, when you can make a very big win by ceasing cooperation. May be that's a devil's temptation, or the fall from sane egoism into psychopathic or paranoid egocentrism.

Bruno

John M