On 3 July 2014 14:22, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> And perhaps most interestingly,
> its central motivation originates in, and simultaneously strikes at
> the heart of, the tacit assumption of its rivals that perception and
> cognition are (somehow) second-order relational phenomena attached to
> some putative "virtual level" of an exhaustively "material" reduction.
>
> The problem of the exhaustively material reduction is that it does use comp,
> more or less explicitly, without being aware that it does not work when put
> together with with materialism.

Yes, and I was roused from my customary torpor specifically to have
another stab at a thoroughgoing reductio of this position (or else, of
course, learn where I am in error). But, frustratingly, it does seem
to be extraordinarily hard to get across for the first time, because
of the tacit question-begging almost unavoidably consequent on the
difficulty of vacating the very perceptual position whose all too
manifest "entities" are undergoing ontological deconstruction. Once
seen, however, the error may then strike one as having been obvious.

The commonest response, in my experience, after describing the
mind-body problem to someone for the first time, is "I don't see the
problem". On further probing, the default assumptions usually turn out
to be either straightforward mind-brain "identity", or "mind =
simulation, brain = computer". If the former, I point, in the first
place, to the completely non-standard and unjustified use of the
identity relation that this entails. If the latter, simple reductive
analogies like house-bricks, or society-people, can sometimes help to
convey the idea that any exhaustively reductive material schema
necessarily *eliminates* its ontological composites (difficult to see
precisely because *epistemological* composition manifestly remains and
the distinction is thereby elusive). Anyway, if the point is grasped
it becomes possible to see the disturbing consequences that such a
reduction has for the standard conjunction of "material computation"
and consciousness.

> Does comp by itself solves the problem? I think it is technically promising,
> if we agree with the "ancient epistemology".  It provides directly the
> needed quantization to get a stable measure on the relative computational
> histories, and it separates well the quanta from the qualia, or more
> generally the 3p communicable, the 3p non communicable, the 1p, etc.
>
> Physics predicts very well eclipses, but still fail completely to predict
> the first person experience of the subject verifying the predicted eclipse.
> To do this, they need to use some brain-mind identity thesis, which is
> violated with comp, and arguably also with Everett QM.

I don't think that most physicists (there are exceptions) have taken
the problem of consciousness seriously (i.e. as a problem in physics)
up to this point, hence my speculation that certain kinds of answer
are ruled out (or rendered either absurd or trivial) by posing the
defining questions of a field in one way rather than another. As you
say, comp is a theory of consciousness, so its "question" is that of
explaining material appearances from the point of view of a
generalised (arithmetical) theory of knowledge. By contrast, physics
is explicitly NOT a theory of consciousness and, should it consider
the question at all, must expect "material appearances" to be
explained in the same terms as any other "physical" phenomenon (e.g.
Tegmark's recent idea that consciousness is a state of matter).

For me at least, the ways in which the mind-body problem has been
approached against the background of physical-primitivism have the
feel of being "not even wrong" or, at least, of being attempts to
"answer" a badly-posed question. Brent's alternative speculation that
the "problem" itself will fade away in the face of superior
engineering, whilst (unfortunately) all too sociologically plausible,
consequently strikes me as a willingness to capitulate to outright
mysterianism, or else tacit eliminativism. Such intractable
"mysteries" or equally, the tacit elimination of troublesome
"problems", are perhaps defining hallmarks of an explanatory strategy
operating outside its limits of applicability. Unfortunately this
insight seems to strike some as a form of heresy against physics,
rather than an observation about explanation in general.

> I agree comp rehabilitates "old thinking", but sometimes the "mechanist"
> assumption (unaware of Church thesis and digitalness) was already there.
> Well, a form of digitalism (still without Church thesis) was arguably
> present in Pythagorus and reappear with the neoplatonists (unfortunately not
> all neoplatonist will be as serious on this as Plotinus).
>
> For this thread I want to insist on the little book by Gerson "Ancient
> Epistemology".

I'll take a look :-)

David