On 5 July 2014 06:27, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> Ok, maybe it's mostly a matter of semantics. I don't exclude things as not
> existing just because they are not part of the primitive ontology.

But of course I haven't been saying these things don't exist. On the
contrary, I've been labouring to differentiate, for the sake of this
discussion, two distinct senses of "existence". The first sense picks
out the basic ontology of a theory and the second refers to whatever
can (putatively) be derived from that ontology on the basis of further
epistemological considerations. And I've been pointing out that
nothing whose "existence" is picked out only in the the latter sense
can be claimed as having any independent relevance (ex hypothesi
reductionism) in the evolution of states defined in terms of the
former.

> In physics the stuff that is most "primitive" in a model is also stuff who's
> existence is least certain, e.g. strings, super-symmetric particles,
> space-time quanta,...  While the stuff you would say doesn't really exist is
> the most certain - including the instruments used to infer the primitive
> stuff and records of the data taken.

That's simply not relevant to the point under discussion. Of course
what's most certain is whatever is directly epistemologically
available, but we're discussing what our theories may actually imply
if we take them *seriously*. The hypothesised ontology may be far less
certain, but we are persuaded to entertain it in the first place
precisely because we conjecture that the things of which we *are*
certain are ultimately its complex epistemological derivatives.

>> But this ceases to
>> be the case when we propose a second-order relation like computation
>> as the "physical correlate" of consciousness, precisely because it
>> vitiates the idea that such relations can be anything other than a
>> manner of speaking, in terms of the *ontology* of a reductive physical
>> theory. Hence, to attribute the ability to evoke conscious states to
>> such imaginary or virtual relations would seem to invoke a sort of
>> ontological magic.
>
> I don't see it as any more magic than making mountains out of rocks.  You
> seem to be invoking an argument from incredulity: Consciousness just can't
> be made out of physical stuff or processes.

It doesn't take magic to make mountains out of rocks; it requires only
that we respect the distinction in a theory between an ontology and
its epistemological derivatives. What I was saying is that, under
physical reductionism, we can't coherently claim the "ontology of
consciousness" to be computation, because the relata picked out by
computation simply can't be justified as being independently
effective. The relata of computation are, ex hypothesi,
epistemologically derivative, abstractions of a *uniquely effective
micro-physical ontology*: "strings, super-symmetric particles,
space-time quanta". This ineluctable degeneracy to the basement
entails that, if you want consciousness to be "made out of physical
stuff or processes", that's where you'll find your parts kit.

But in any case it is surely rather obvious that we have no business
looking for consciousness to be "made out of stuff", unless we are
willing to take the stuff alone (i.e. the 3p part) to be consciousness
tout court. That would be to eliminate the 1p part and if we stick
closely to our theoretical analysis such elimination is obviously
incoherent on its face, as the very claim invokes the epistemological
derivatives it purports to exclude. Of course I know this isn't what
you mean: you accept the 1p part. But the point of my analysis has
been to argue that unless we are prepared to consign the latter to
mystery (i.e. inaccessibility to further explanation) we should
perhaps question whether we aren't being misled by very idea of
consciousness being "made out of something".

>> Arithmetic, in the first instance, is simply
>> posited as the minimal ontological assumption for the construction of
>> an explicit epistemology (i.e. a theory of knowledge and knowers); IOW
>> what physics explicitly eschews at the outset. From that point the
>> explanatory thrust hinges on epistemological considerations and hence
>> can no longer be straightforwardly reduced to the first-order
>> ontology.
>
> Yes, that's an interesting aspect of Bruno's theory.  He identifies
> "provable" with "believes".  But the the same kind of thing can be done in a
> physical theory: "believes" = "acts as if it were true". There's even a
> whole theory of Bayesian inference based on bets.  It may not be right, but
> it's a theory of epistemology.

Yes, but it's a theory of epistemology "after the physical fact". It
assumes without further justification what it wishes to prove, as when
we speak of "acting as if it were true" we have *already abstracted*
both ourselves and our actions from the framework of an exhaustive
physical reduction that has been hypothesised at the outset as being
uniquely effective. That's the whole point and burden of my analysis.
So on that basis I disagree that "the same kind of thing can be done
in a physical theory". On the comp assumption, by contrast, belief in
a truth and "acting as if true", in conjunction with their truth
content, are alike derived from the outset as consequences of a
fundamentally epistemological theory. One might therefore say that
action, belief and truth are hypothesised as being complementary or
co-effective, rather than hierarchical-reductive, in relation.

>> I think in the case of consciousness, explanation as opposed to
>> engineering has to take foundational questions of knowledge and
>> reference as seriously as those of physical phenomenology. And I also
>> think comp at least provides a possible model of how progress could be
>> made in this direction.
>
> But not a physical, neuroscience based model.  You reject that, in spite of
> the fact that it has had considerable success.

I don't reject it at all. I'm only going so far as saying that
ultimately it may lack the explanatory moxie to take us as far as we
could go under more comprehensive assumptions. Your stance, I think,
is that wherever a future neuroscience is capable of taking us is as
far as any reasonable person could expect explanation to reach. To put
it more baldly, whatever can't be known in this way just isn't
knowable. All I've really been trying to argue for in this thread is
that this limit may in the end turn out to be an artefact of a
particular explanatory strategy.

As to success, I don't recall Einstein being taken to task for dissing
the "considerable success" of Newton's theory. In the end any
paradigm, however successful, may suffer the fate of being subsumed
into a more comprehensive one if certain puzzles stubbornly resist it
for long enough. And I'm suggesting that one early but perhaps
worrying symptom that this fate may lie somewhere up the road for
physical reductionism is a persistent tendency to trivialise, mystify,
or eliminate epistemological puzzles that seem to resist capture
within the framework of that theory.

> So what does an answer look like?  Is Turing completeness enough - that's
> what Bruno says.  But apparently it makes you and a jumping spider equally
> conscious.  I don't think that's a very good answer.

Where is it written that I and a jumping spider are equally conscious?
That is, on the assumption that I'm not actually a jumping spider,
which I guess is not a matter for complete certainty, in the
cyberverse. I think that comp implies only that I and a jumping spider
may share a particular species of self-referentiality that is
representable in any Turing complete system (indeed, that this is the
basis of the "I" shared by all such subjects). Beyond that
commonality, the spectrum of subjectivity (i.e. its possible
"objects") would extend asymptotically towards infinity, I guess, but
always according to the specifics of the logic and statistics
extractable from comp. At least, that is the hypothesis and the
project.

David