On 6 July 2014 04:18, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

 >> Yes, but it's a theory of epistemology "after the physical fact". It
 >> assumes without further justification what it wishes to prove,
 >
> No, it defines a certain kind of belief, just as Bruno identifies
belief with "provable in some axiomatic system" (which you
must admit is not a standard  meaning of "belief") one can identify
belief with certain actions in context.   I  don't know what you
mean by "after the physical fact".  If it's a physical theory of
belief then of course it's explained in terms of physical facts.  You
seem to  reject this as though it's obviously wrong.

Not wrong, just not the whole story. My argument has been that any
"mechanism of belief" that is hierarchically reducible to a finite set
of (assumptive) primitives cannot thereafter rely on the (supposedly)
independent effectiveness of derivative notions such as computation as
the basis of its "mechanism of knowledge". This is essentially the
same conclusion as MGA or Maudlin and amounts to an insistence on what
is most powerful in reductive explanation (i.e. the redundancy of
intermediate "levels of effectiveness") . Hence the specific line of
attack is that, under reductionism, the effectiveness of derivative
notions such as "physical computation" cannot be meaningfully
distinguished from that of their ontological primitives. Since this
isn't always obvious, I've offered suggestions, closer to hand than
the hierarchical relation between micro and macro physical phenomena,
to exemplify the similarly tacit reification of supernumerary
ontological assumptions (e.g. mountains, football teams, societies,
etc.).

 > It may be inadequate or Bruno's theory may be better, but you seem
to think it's somehow heretical to have a physical idea of what
constitutes belief.

Well, It is at least my intention to make clear what I actually think
so that you don't have to rely on what I may "seem" to think. But if
my argument goes through, what is left to a reductionist strategy
would look like some kind of mind<->brain, or more properly
mind<->reductive-primitive, identity theory. But then the burden would
be on finding a convincing justification of "identical", in this
non-standard sense, that doesn't amount to effective elimination of
the first term.

We can clearly understand in what way Mark Twain and Sam Clemens were
identical, but it is somewhat less easy to fathom in any equivalent
sense how such heterogeneous concepts as mind and brain could share
that relation. So no, there's no "heresy" involved in such an idea
unless, IMHO, it is a blind for eliminativism. But the risk in any
straightforward equation of the "physical idea of what constitutes
belief" with some parallel physical account, however exhaustive, is
that of consigning the "1p part" to some not-available-for-explanation
limbo.

>> One might therefore say that
>> action, belief and truth are hypothesised as being complementary or
>> co-effective, rather than hierarchical-reductive, in relation.
>
> Truth in comp only refers to mathematical truth of the form Exf(x). It's
a long way to connect that to "I see a dog."

True enough it's a long way, but it might yet be a first step on the
right path. By contrast, I don't see how any equivalent truth-relation
can be tacked on to reductive physicalism except as an act of
courtesy. What can it mean to say that the physical evolution of some
particularised system corresponds to a "self-referential truth" (i.e.
a "subjective reality" transcendent over its physical states) other
than as an ad hoc attribution in the face of an indisputable a
posteriori fact? Of course, sans a viable theory of mind, this latter
position is indeed the one we find ourselves in. But what we really
seek is some explanatory framework within which such relations as
"believes", "knows" and "acts" can be conciliated on something more
than a merely metaphorical or operational basis.

>> Beyond that
>> commonality, the spectrum of subjectivity (i.e. its possible
>> "objects") would extend asymptotically towards infinity, I guess, but
>> always according to the specifics of the logic and statistics
>> extractable from comp. At least, that is the hypothesis and the
>> project.
>
> OK, I can buy that.

OK, sold. How many would you like?

;-) David

> On 7/5/2014 5:08 AM, David Nyman wrote:
>>
>> On 5 July 2014 06:27, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, maybe it's mostly a matter of semantics. I don't exclude things as
not
>>> existing just because they are not part of the primitive ontology.
>>
>> But of course I haven't been saying these things don't exist. On the
>> contrary, I've been labouring to differentiate, for the sake of this
>> discussion, two distinct senses of "existence". The first sense picks
>> out the basic ontology of a theory and the second refers to whatever
>> can (putatively) be derived from that ontology on the basis of further
>> epistemological considerations. And I've been pointing out that
>> nothing whose "existence" is picked out only in the the latter sense
>> can be claimed as having any independent relevance (ex hypothesi
>> reductionism) in the evolution of states defined in terms of the
>> former.
>>
>>> In physics the stuff that is most "primitive" in a model is also stuff
who's
>>> existence is least certain, e.g. strings, super-symmetric particles,
>>> space-time quanta,...  While the stuff you would say doesn't really
exist is
>>> the most certain - including the instruments used to infer the primitive
>>> stuff and records of the data taken.
>>
>> That's simply not relevant to the point under discussion. Of course
>> what's most certain is whatever is directly epistemologically
>> available, but we're discussing what our theories may actually imply
>> if we take them *seriously*. The hypothesised ontology may be far less
>> certain, but we are persuaded to entertain it in the first place
>> precisely because we conjecture that the things of which we *are*
>> certain are ultimately its complex epistemological derivatives.

>>> I don't see it as any more magic than making mountains out of rocks.
 You
> [...]
>> space-time quanta". This ineluctable degeneracy to the basement
>> entails that, if you want consciousness to be "made out of physical
>> stuff or processes", that's where you'll find your parts kit.
>>
>> But in any case it is surely rather obvious that we have no business
>> looking for consciousness to be "made out of stuff", unless we are
>> willing to take the stuff alone (i.e. the 3p part) to be consciousness
>> tout court. That would be to eliminate the 1p part and if we stick
>> closely to our theoretical analysis such elimination is obviously
>> incoherent on its face, as the very claim invokes the epistemological
>> derivatives it purports to exclude. Of course I know this isn't what
>> you mean: you accept the 1p part. But the point of my analysis has
>> been to argue that unless we are prepared to consign the latter to
>> mystery (i.e. inaccessibility to further explanation) we should
>> perhaps question whether we aren't being misled by very idea of
>> consciousness being "made out of something".

>>> Yes, that's an interesting aspect of Bruno's theory.  He identifies
>>> "provable" with "believes".  But the the same kind of thing can be done
in a
>>> physical theory: "believes" = "acts as if it were true". There's even a
>>> whole theory of Bayesian inference based on bets.  It may not be right,
but
>>> it's a theory of epistemology.
>>
>> Yes, but it's a theory of epistemology "after the physical fact". It
>> assumes without further justification what it wishes to prove,
>
> No, it defines a certain kind of belief, just as Bruno identifies belief
with "provable in some axiomatic system" (which you must admit is not a
standard meaning of "belief") one can identify belief with certain actions
in context.   I don't know what you mean by "after the physical fact".  If
it's a physical theory of belief then of course it's explained in terms of
physical facts.  You seem to reject this as though it's obviously wrong.
 It may be inadequate or Bruno's theory may be better, but you seem to
think it's somehow heretical to have a physical idea of what constitutes
belief.

>> as when
>> we speak of "acting as if it were true" we have *already abstracted*
>> both ourselves and our actions from the framework of an exhaustive
>> physical reduction that has been hypothesised at the outset as being
>> uniquely effective.
>

> Sure, it's a physical theory so it's in terms of physics.
>

>> That's the whole point and burden of my analysis.
>> So on that basis I disagree that "the same kind of thing can be done
>> in a physical theory". On the comp assumption, by contrast, belief in
>> a truth and "acting as if true", in conjunction with their truth
>> content, are alike derived from the outset as consequences of a
>> fundamentally epistemological theory.
>

> A consequence of a hypothetical definition.  And I don't see that comp
has been able to derive anything about human actions.  Not to say that can
never do so, but I don't see it as a de facto virtue.