Brent,

You left me hanging a week or so ago, and never got back to me about
something I'm interested in finding out more about.

On 2 July 2014 23:14, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2 July 2014 17:06, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>  On 7/1/2014 9:42 PM, LizR wrote:
>>
>>  On 2 July 2014 15:46, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>>>    OK, so how does that work? Like I said, I don't understand it.
>>> Intuitively, saying that A causes B and B causes A doesn't appear to make
>>> sense,
>>>
>>>  It's not a causal relationship, it's an explanatory "->".
>>>

>>  Sorry I should have said "explains" although I thought it was obvious I
>> was using causal in an explanatory sense, not a physical one. Anyway,
>> please continue the explanation.
>>
>> You don't understand what is meant by "physics -> biology" or "biology ->
>> evolution -> mathematics" or "mathematics -> physics"?
>>
>> Yes I do.
>
> And there you stopped. I'm still waiting for you to continue the
explanation.

To refresh your memory, you said:

OK, except I think the chain is:
> arithmetic -> information -> matter -> consciousness -> arithmetic

To which I objected that I couldn't see how this makes sense globally, even
if each local step makes sense. You appear to be claiming that there is no
such thing as a fundamental explanatory level. Since this flies in the face
of 3+ centuries of scientific progress (based on reductionism, which
assumes there *is* a fundamental explanatory level), not to mention what
most people would regard as logic (or at least common sense), this looks
like a fairly radical revision of our theories of knowledge.

So I'd be interested to know more, if you're prepared to continue
explaining.