From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of LizR
Sent: Saturday, July 12, 2014 7:53 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Brent's circular ontology [was: Is Consciousness Computable?]

On 13 July 2014 08:27, 'Chris de Morsella' via Everything List
<everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Or… perhaps it could it be like the mythical snake eating its tail.

By, invoking retro-causality

Brent isn't invoking retro-causality, but circular explanation. As he was at
pains to point out to me, the arrows are explanatory, NOT causal.

I wasn’t suggesting he was, and apologize if you mistook, pure conjecture – on
my part -- for being a misunderstanding of what he said. In truth I am agnostic
on reality, realizing clearly that I operate in some relative degree of
ignorance. I also however like conjecture… and airships too J (the steam punk
esthetic)

A question for you…

At some point doesn’t the search for a base level of fundamental reality lead
you into an endless recursion or an arbitrary assignment of some, non-reducible
fundamental  quality to some entity, whether this be particle or pure math.