On 02 Sep 2014, at 19:26, Richard Ruquist wrote:

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 12:40 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 25 Aug 2014, at 21:04, meekerdb wrote:

Bostrom says, "If humanity had been sane and had our act together globally, the sensible course of action would be to postpone development of superintelligence until we figured out how to do so safely. And then maybe wait another generation or two just to make sure that we hadn't overlooked some flaw in our reasoning. And then do it -- and reap immense benefit. Unfortunately, we do not have the ability to pause."

But maybe he's forgotten the Dark Ages. I think ISIS is working hard to produce a pause.

I agree. ISIS, Hamas, Muslim Brotherhood, etc.

It is not Islam, in my current opinion, but I read the Hamas chart, and, well, I have only read one half of the Quran for now, and it is hard to interpret (I do think the hamas is inconsistent with the surrah of the poets and the surrah of the table), but I read entirely "mein kampf", and the chart of the hamas extends mein kampf, and indeed those guys works hard and patiently to produce a pause, may be one more millenium of obscurity.

Religion are like drug, the more you repress them, the more they get solid. The christian era is already a consequence of the attempt by the Romans to eradicate christianity from the empire, we know the result.

Bruno,

According to Harvard scholars the Romans invented Christianity to keep the Jews in check:
http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/sociopolitica/esp_sociopol_piso02a.htm

Thanks. Interesting. Need to search more to get a better plausibility feeling, and to understand the consequence for 500 AC.

Bruno

We can't win a war against Islam, but we still can win a war against nazism (program of eliminating categories of people).

We should better not confuse the pseudo-muslim nazis from the muslims.

On 8/25/2014 10:27 AM
Artificial Intelligence May Doom The Human Race Within A Century, Oxford Professor

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/22/artificial-intelligence-oxford_n_5689858.html?ir=Science

The probability is still higher that Human Intelligence May Doom Us more efficaciously.

We never know what we do, in term of the long run.

Ah! I told you that we should not have left the Ocean!

People want to be "politically correct" and gives the same voice to the just and the unjust. If you define the just by the one who does not impose its will on other, and the unjust by the one who does impose its will on the other, you can understand that there is a polarity where political correctness is wrong and dangerous. Voltaire said the beautiful (but dangerous) statement "I disagree with what you say, but I am willing to die for you having the right to say it". He should have added the proviso that this is so as long as you don't tell lies on me or my friends or use words or weapon to limit my liberty and will".

Freedom of expression is freedom of hypothesis/theories and duty of explanations and consultations.

Of course we live our tolerance of the use of authoritative arguments in theology and human science since 523 AC. It is "our" tradition.

If theology never left the academy, today there would be "Nobel Prize" or other Field Medals in theology, and I guess that an unanimity would exist that anyone killing in the name of the one having no name, would be mocked as the very one lacking faith, and blaspheming.

If we remain as bad in human and fundamental science (meaning really: being so ignorant of the difficulties and questions, and being so able to deny evidences, or to confuse A-> B with B ->A), then it is pretty clear we will be as much bad in the machine science, to our detriment. If we don't recognize ourself in them, they will not recognize ourselves either. Many futures are possible. I would suggest trying the harm reduction path.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. To post to this group, send email to everything- l...@googlegroups.com.