On 03 Oct 2014, at 22:30, meekerdb wrote:

The problem with theories of everything is that they are either too difficult to test or have been found to conflict with observation. So almost all scientists choose to chew on some more modest bite.

No problem. The point is that some theology or theory of everything are testable. We might say that the history of physics is a sequence of refutation of Aristotle physics, but only now, we have a refutation of his metaphysics and theology.
Plato makes still sense, though, and is as much rational.

That includes or is equal to theology, even if it is only to disprove the existence of this or that sort of gods when assuming this or that hypotheses about how connecting our measurement results.

If comp is true, which I don't know, then you can define God by what remains when you are willing to abandon, even only for awhile, when you stop believing in the God "Nature", or "Matter", etc.

You can define God by whatever you like; it's just a matter of showing who is the master, you or the word.

Me, of course. It is probably part of my trust in god, and in humans, and in machine, and in the mystics, that is the correct use of the term. It is very reasonable, and it prevents at the start the confusion between the serious research and the political/social brainwashing or the popular superstition.

A lot of evidence for some God (like the god Matter), is not a proof of its existence, still less so in front of complex open problems.

To be able to do research in theology requires the ability to doubt your religion.

Certainty is madness. If you are OK with spirituality, you should be OK with religion, and angry only against the religion when used as authoritative power to control other people.

Are you certain about that?

Absolutely not :)