[SPK]

I have a suspicion as to how this might happen. I think that it may be
> evidence of part of Bruno's argument that we are not single computations.
>
>    If our individual minds span over all of the brains that could
> implement them and each brain is tied into a single physical world, then so
> long as the "wipe" occurs only in some some of the physical worlds, then it
> is possible to "retain the memory".
>    This implies a restricted form of computational universality - not all
> software can "run" on each and every piece of hardware - and that there may
> be a way of selecting what the software does by steering which hardware it
> is available to run on. In this way one can "control" the software without
> taking any direct action on it.

​[Telmo] ​
Interesting, I hope Bruno can comment on this.

[Bruno]
I am not sure I understand. By Church thesis all software can run on all
hardware or anything, once it is organized so that it is Turing Universal.
Then the distinction between hardware and software is relative above the
substitution level, and absolute below (matter emerging from the FPI sums
on infinities of computations). I think that Stephen might be valid,
though. If we were able to kill ourself mentally and instantaneously, we
might choose the selection, like in a WM duplication but when seeing Moscow
(and the temperature) you kill yourself, so that only the W-guy survives.
But nature has programmed in a way such that we can't easily do that, at
least in the "mundane state of consciousness". Near death or in altered
consciousness state, I don't know. Perhaps. This needs much more research
to figure out.

Hi Bruno.

   You are taking a Platonic view and tracing out all distinctions of
computations (modulo complexity class) and hardware (modulo resource
availability), otherwise I thing we agree.

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 11:20 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> [...]
> to know the details.
>

>>   I have a suspicion as to how this might happen. I think that it may be
>> evidence of part of Bruno's argument that we are not single computations.
>>
>>    If our individual minds span over all of the brains that could
>> implement them and each brain is tied into a single physical world, then so
>> long as the "wipe" occurs only in some some of the physical worlds, then it
>> is possible to "retain the memory".
>>    This implies a restricted form of computational universality - not all
>> software can "run" on each and every piece of hardware - and that there may
>> be a way of selecting what the software does by steering which hardware it
>> is available to run on. In this way one can "control" the software without
>> taking any direct action on it.
>>

> Interesting, I hope Bruno can comment on this.
>

> I am not sure I understand. By Church thesis all software can run on all
> hardware or anything, once it is organized so that it is Turing Universal.
> Then the distinction between hardware and software is relative above the
> substitution level, and absolute below (matter emerging from the FPI sums
> on infinities of computations). I think that Stephen might be valid,
> though. If we were able to kill ourself mentally and instantaneously, we
> might choose the selection, like in a WM duplication but when seeing Moscow
> (and the temperature) you kill yourself, so that only the W-guy survives.
> But nature has programmed in a way such that we can't easily do that, at
> least in the "mundane state of consciousness". Near death or in altered
> consciousness state, I don't know. Perhaps. This needs much more research
> to figure out.
>

> So essentially the physical universe would be a type of consensus amongst
> infinite instantiations of a mind? I guess your experience could be called
> a "reverse déjà vu" or maybe a "jamais vu".
>

> I ask we recount the votes!
>
> :)
>
> Bruno
>

>>    This hypothesis makes sense to me as I am using a dualist ontology,
>> minds and bodies are not one and the same "thing" or "process" - I reject
>> Descartes' substance dualism - the isomorphism implied by the duality is
>> not between individual minds (logical structures/algebras) and brains
>> (topological spaces/groups), but between something more like quotient
>> <http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/5104/quotienting-a-set-by-an-equivalence-relation-such-that-the-natural-projection-is>
>> of adjoint categories <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functor_category>.
>>
>>    I can't find a good mathematical description of the concept yet...
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 8:32 AM, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Thanks Stephen.
>>> If I understand the ideas in Mitra's paper correctly, wouldn't it
>>> require that you yourself had forgotten about the discussion?

Kindest Regards,

Stephen Paul King

Senior Researcher

Mobile: (864) 567-3099