I don't recall Bruno ever csaying if you don't believe in something then
you believe in it.

What he's said is that atheists defend/support/reinforce the same
idea/conception of god that the literalist or fundamentalist abrahamic
religions use.

Atheists can't say there is no God without defining what they mean by God,
and invariably they choose some variant of an omniscient omnipotent creator
who answers prayers and judges us, rather than any of the myriad of other
conceptions of god. In this way, atheists pretend there is only one
acceptable definition and will usually fight to say that it is only
definition, or the one everyone means,  or believe the one all believers
believe in.

That's a perfect case of defending the idea of what God is or can be, even
if it is only to then attack the idea. Honest theistic reasoning would use
logic to say,  "okay perhaps God cannot be this, but we have not ruled out
these other possibilities which are as far as we know not inconsistent",
rather than "we have ruled out this definition of god, and it is the only
definition, therefore there is no god"

Jason

On Wednesday, October 15, 2014, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 10/15/2014 7:25 PM, Platonist Guitar Cowboy wrote:
>

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 4:00 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>> Bruno seems to think that if you fail to believe in the existence of
Santa Claus you must have a definite idea of what "Santa Claus" refers to
and therefore you do believe in Santa Claus.  A curious inference for a
logician.

> That's just fancy language, wherein semantic of "Santa" is mapped to
"fictitious entity, old, fat, gift giving etc"; so you applying belief
predicate to it results in believing untrue fiction.

> What's more curious than this is why you choose "Santa" instead of
"house" or "Brent" in your example.

> But roughly I'd say yes, to negate some proposition you have to know
semantic it refers to and point to/represent that idea, with all its
possible flaws, and note said negation. And that isn't curious, I'd call it
normal because I can't think of some inversion before I have a grasp on
some usual state of affairs. PGC

> I works with "house" and "Brent" too.  What's curious is that failing to
believe in anything implies that you do believe in it.  I suppose it goes
along with the spirit of "everything".  If I can think of it clearly enough
to fail to believe it exists then it must be among the the everything that
exists.