On 1 Nov 2014, at 1:22 am, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > you seek to find a logical contradiction as a way of invalidating my
>> > assertion
>> > you seek to find a logical contradiction as a way of invalidating my
>> > assertion
>
> I didn't just seek it I found it

You seek to find the contradiction because that is what you set out to do. That
is your taste, your armchair sport. You always "find what you seek" because one
always does, given that attitude. In other words, you approach every statement,
every assertion with a view to exposing "error". That's the mindset of a
religious cleric tasked with outing heretics who do not respect the faith.
Someone else might see more positive value in wondering in what sense it might
be worthwhile considering that agreement and disagreement are not a part of
thinking - given that it sounds pretty radical as an assertion, yes. Most
people I imagine, would wonder a little about this statement, but you, in
typical chest-beating fashion, immediately set out to kill anything that
doesn't fit into your world view. Have you ever wondered about anything, John,
or do you, like the religious clerics of the middle ages, know everything there
is to know?

> and I can't imagine a better way of invalidating a assertion than finding a
> logical contradiction in it.

Tee hee hee. That then, allows you to set up the pyre in the town square and
light the fagot to burn the heretic alive.

Any assertion whatsoever has value. The assertion "aeroplanes should land
upside down" has extraordinary value despite it's apparent absurdity. The value
is not in the assertion itself but in what it provokes or leads to in the mind
of those hearing it. This is something you have to learn. The value of anything
is something that exists in your head, not in the thing itself.

It is up to the thinker to find the value. This is a function of your mind that
you haven't yet found.

Kim