On 12/21/2014 5:09 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

            John Clark wrote:

                On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 , Bruce Kellett <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>
                wrote:

                  >An instinct for self-preservation is unrelated to whether or
not
                you have a fear of death, or of oblivion

                Unrelated?? Don't be ridiculous! Why the hell do you imagine
                Evolution
                invented the fear of death in the first place?

            Evolution did not "invent a fear of death". That is purely cultural,
            and is not even associated with consciousness -- it comes only with
            self-awareness and an inner narrative. Evolution gave living things
            an instinct for self-preservation. But you can have such an instinct
            operating healthily and still not fear death. Fear of death probably
            comes from a fear of the unknown, and is linked to the fear of
            prolonged suffering. But oblivion is oblivion -- it is not something
            to be feared because no-one has ever experienced it, or can ever
            experience it.

        Following that reasoning, do you believe there is nothing wrong with
murder?

    How on earth did you get that from what I said?

If there's nothing wrong with oblivion, and murder leads to oblivion, then there's nothing wrong with murder.

There's nothing wrong with having a lot of money, and bank robbery leads to having a lot of money, then there's nothing wrong with bank robbery.