On 12 Jan 2015, at 17:46, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

On 12 Jan 2015, at 08:27, 'Chris de Morsella' via Everything List wrote:

From: everything-list@googlegroups.com [mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com ] On Behalf Of meekerdb
Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2015 10:52 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Why is there something rather than nothing? From quantum theory to dialectics?

From: everything-list@googlegroups.com [mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com ] On Behalf Of meekerdb

On 1/11/2015 6:39 PM, 'Chris de Morsella' via Everything List wrote:
Once Bruno explained to me how he intends the term god when he uses it I understood his intent. Clearly he is not connoting some biblical deity when he uses the term. While it may be a continuous source of confusion for him as others who are unfamiliar with his meaning of god, encounter his usage of it; it is his prerogative to decide to use that term.

That's how O'Brien explains it to Winston Smith.

Come on now... how does an allusion to George Orwell’s 1984 enter into this?

O'Brien knew that who controls language controls thought. So peace is war. Atheism is Christianity. And "God" is whatever you want it to mean.

Okay at least I know you are not comparing Bruno or myself to O’Brien… whew J I don’t think Bruno (or me for sure) is trying to say that God is whatever “you” says it means. He uses it in a fairly precise and defined manner, that has a historic tail to it as well, which is distinct and different from “whatever you want it to mean”.

Thanks Chris. Jason also did send a nice post summing all the uses of the term God, but atheists seem to disagree on this. Atheists seems to insist that God means only what the christians mean by it, and nothing else.

But with your way of defining it, it means anything... you can't and never be able to say "I do not believe in god"... because you could always find a meaning that suits you... the problem with that approach is that you're simply misunderstood... because if you say so to a christian/muslim/... believer, he will understand the one god you say is a fairy tale... and so you cannot communicate... So if everytime when you say "I believe in god" you have to describe exactly what you mean by it... what's the point of saying "god" ?

The point is mainly to avoid the boring God/Non-God debate, which usually assumes the Aristotelian theology.

A more general definition of God is needed for not imposing theological or metaphysical assumptions at the start. We can define God by the the big thing from which all the rest follows, and then inquire of what that God can be. A person? A physical Universe, a mathematical reality, etc.

It is simpler to consider that we all believe in some God, but disagree on its nature. We can discuss the nature of God. It might be the creation (a primitively material universe), like for many materialist atheists, or a personal creator like with the abrahamanic religions. Or it can be a universal dreamer, or arithmetical truth, or a more complex mathematical reality, etc.

As we don't know the answer in advance, this way of proceeding works for a larger public.

All believers (including atheists believing in a physical universe) agrees with such large definition. Then, proceeding from some hypothesis, like computationalism, we can better circumscribe the possibilities, and compare with different theologies. I use the same meaning of "god" as the one used by philosophers, comparative theologians, the ancient greeks, etc.

Note that usually, I don't use the word "god" at all, and have use it in this list because others have use it.

If I use a more specific word, like Allah, or Tao, or One, ... people are more easily inclined to believe that I defend a special religion (muslim, taoism, plotinism, etc.).

Then with computationalism, we recover quickly many propositions already accepted by numerous religion, like God has no description, God is not finite, using God in an argument is not valid, etc.

Bruno

Regards,
Quentin

I guess they need that notion, for atheism making sense. That would explain why they slip from "no fairy tales" to "no theology at all". Of course, this forces a status quo in theology, preventing any progress in the field.

Bruno

-Chris

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. To post to this group, send email to everything- l...@googlegroups.com.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. To post to this group, send email to everything- l...@googlegroups.com.

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. (Roy Batty/Rutger Hauer)