On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 2:04 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 1/11/2015 9:41 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>
> We can't criticize religions because the churches, with the help of the
> main stream atheist (of your type), does not want us to come back to
> reasoning at that level, yet.
>

> All the atheists I know are fine with a search for fundamental reality
> with a scientific attitude.  The only thing they don't like about your
> program is your insistence on calling something (it's not clear what)
> "God".  They don't like that because "God" has a common meaning;

Quantum physics and relativity have many popular interpretations and snappy
analogies. Is this the standard then? Should we rely on these when doing
research for clarity's sake, because it's easier to exchange mails/posts
about, or should we rely on what we judge to be the best interpretations?

> it means a supernatural person who created the world and judges human
> worth and communicates His commands through priests and mystics and sacred
> texts.

Not the neo-platonic interpretation of the concept. God is merely a more
familiar term for unnameable principle or fundamental source of reality,
stripped from its usual personal or theistic connotations.

The root of everything and nothing, if you pardon this neo-platonic
blasphemy, required to form an order or hierarchy that we ultimately cannot
take literally.

The via negativa has been with us long enough to be recognized by Christian
theology, which takes quite a while... :-) Anybody can google it.

Instead of saying yes or no to god with attributes, according to Plotinus,
this implies sidestepping the issue and pursuing the consequences of
asserting negative belief.

In this sidestepping there is a point at which reason is left behind, which
is consistent with incompleteness phenomenon, failure of logicism,
mysticism etc. The move is grounded in the consequence that somebody
asserting existence or non-existence of God has to be able to therefore
"know the root and source of all and nothing". The latter is assumed
impossible. Therefore sidestepping and questioning the implications of such
a move in Plotinus' work. PGC

  I don't think you believe in this "God" but you want to poke the eye of