From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Platonist Guitar Cowboy
Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2015 6:30 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Why is there something rather than nothing? From quantum theory to
dialectics?

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 2:04 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

On 1/11/2015 9:41 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

We can't criticize religions because the churches, with the help of the main
stream atheist (of your type), does not want us to come back to reasoning at
that level, yet.

All the atheists I know are fine with a search for fundamental reality with a
scientific attitude.  The only thing they don't like about your program is your
insistence on calling something (it's not clear what) "God".  They don't like
that because "God" has a common meaning;

Quantum physics and relativity have many popular interpretations and snappy
analogies. Is this the standard then? Should we rely on these when doing
research for clarity's sake, because it's easier to exchange mails/posts about,
or should we rely on what we judge to be the best interpretations?

it means a supernatural person who created the world and judges human worth and
communicates His commands through priests and mystics and sacred texts.

Not the neo-platonic interpretation of the concept. God is merely a more
familiar term for unnameable principle or fundamental source of reality,
stripped from its usual personal or theistic connotations.

The root of everything and nothing, if you pardon this neo-platonic blasphemy,
required to form an order or hierarchy that we ultimately cannot take
literally.

The via negativa has been with us long enough to be recognized by Christian
theology, which takes quite a while... :-) Anybody can google it.

Instead of saying yes or no to god with attributes, according to Plotinus, this
implies sidestepping the issue and pursuing the consequences of asserting
negative belief.

In this sidestepping there is a point at which reason is left behind, which is
consistent with incompleteness phenomenon, failure of logicism, mysticism etc.
The move is grounded in the consequence that somebody asserting existence or
non-existence of God has to be able to therefore "know the root and source of
all and nothing". The latter is assumed impossible. Therefore sidestepping and
questioning the implications of such a move in Plotinus' work. PGC

Once Bruno explained to me how he intends the term god when he uses it I
understood his intent. Clearly he is not connoting some biblical deity when he
uses the term. While it may be a continuous source of confusion for him as
others who are unfamiliar with his meaning of god, encounter his usage of it;
it is his prerogative to decide to use that term.

-Chris

  I don't think you believe in this "God" but you want to poke the eye of some
atheists who rejected your work.