Bruno Marchal wrote:
On 08 Apr 2015, at 02:35, Bruce Kellett wrote:

Bruno Marchal wrote:
On 07 Apr 2015, at 04:51, Bruce Kellett wrote:

I understand what you are claiming, but I do not agree with it. The primary physical universe certainly exists,
Then computationalism is false. But what are your evidence for a *primary* physical universe. That is an axiom by Aristotle, and I believe animals are hard-wired to make some extrapolation here (for not doubting the prey and the predators), but there are no scientific evidence for a *primary* physical object.

There is no scientific evidence for a universal dovetailer either.

We don't need evidence here. The existence of the universal dovetailer, and of all its finite pieces of executions is already a theorem of very elementary arithmetic. Those things exist in the same sense that prime number exist.

Which is merely as thought patterns in the brains of physical beings.

Perhaps you meant its existence in a physical universe. But we don't know if there is a physical universe,

I think we do know that. Your point, it seems, is merely that this is not primary, not that it doesn't exist.

and the point, to sum up, is that it will be easier to explain the *appearance* of a physical universe to the entities in arithmetic, than to explain the appearance of arithmetic to physical beings.

But you haven't explained the appearance of a physical universe in arithmetic. And the appearance of arithmetic in a physical universe is trivially easy to explain -- we abstract the numbers from our experience of objects and of multiple copies of similar objects. No mystery here.

But the UDA go farer. It shows that if we assume the brain function like a (natural) machine, then we have no choice (unless adding some amount of magic).

No need for magic: it is all in the physics.

And so far there is no evidence that it can produce anything like the physical universe we observe.

This shows you are still not reading the work with the necessary attention. There are evidences, of different type. I predict the many worlds appearance a long time before reading Everett and understanding that QM gives some evidence for computationalism (for which evidences also exists). Then the math extract a quantum logic exactly where it must appear.

This is all quite trivial, and unimpressive to the physicist. One can get as much by adding a few random numbers to any mix. Your 'many worlds' have nothing to do with Everett.

Primary physicality is a lot simpler. Occam's razor to the fore....

Not at all. It assumes a primary physical reality, a mathemaytical reality, some starnge relation between math and physcis, and between mind and physics. The TOE extracted from computationalism assume only elementary arithmetic (or Turing equivalent).

The relationship between maths and physics is not at all strange or mysterious. We evolved in a physical world, and postulated numbers and arithmetic to order our experiences. Once the idea of axiomatization of arithmetic arose, all the rest followed. It is intimately related to the physical world because it originated there -- as part of our attempt to understand and systematize our experience of that physical world.

Bruce