Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

I can't see how, logically, personal identity could be more than
mental contents.

So if I cut off a few of your external limbs, take your house, your wife, your children, and, to cap it all, your dog, you would be OK with this because you still have your memories of them?

Suppose it were an extra thing - a soul. It turns out
that the soul is destroyed if I sin and eat chocolate. I eat
chocolate, and my soul is destroyed; but I feel the same and I behave
the same. What have I actually lost?

Who said anything about a dualist soul? I suggest that physical things as well as emotions, values, memories, thoughts, dreams, and so on are important in making you who you are. And, more importantly, these physical, external things are part of your sense of self.

Bruce