On 16 Apr 2015, at 21:18, meekerdb wrote:

On 4/16/2015 1:01 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 16 Apr 2015, at 05:33, Bruce Kellett wrote:

LizR wrote:
On 16 April 2015 at 12:53, Bruce Kellett <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au <mailto:bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>> wrote:
  LizR wrote:
      On 15 April 2015 at 10:15, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com
      <mailto:johnkcl...@gmail.com> <mailto:johnkcl...@gmail.com
      <mailto:johnkcl...@gmail.com>>> wrote:
Yes but I'm confused, I though you were the one arguing that
      Bruno
          had discovered something new under the sun, a new sort of
uncertainty That's hardly what Bruno is claiming. Step 3 is only a small step in a logical argument. It shows that if our normal everyday
      consciousness is the result of computation, then it can be
      duplicated (in principle - if you have a problem with matter
      duplicators, consider an AI programme) and that this leads to
      what looks like uncertainty from one person's perspective.
  You only get that impression because in Bruno's treatment of the
case -- the two copies are immediately separated by a large distance and don't further interact. You might come to a different conclusion
  if you let the copies sit down together and have a chat.
That doesn't make any difference to the argument. "Will I be the copy sitting in the chair on the left?" is less dramatic than "Will I be transported to Moscow or Washington?" and hence, I suspect, might not make the point so clearly. But otherwise the argument goes through either way.

No, because as I argued elsewhere, the two 'copies' would not agree that they were the same person.

  Separating them geographically was meant to mimic the different
  worlds idea from MWI. But I think that is a bit of a cheat.
I don't know where Bruno says he's mimicking the MWI (at this stage) ? This is a classical result, assuming classical computation (which according to Max Tegmark is a reasonable assumption for brains).

In the protracted arguments with John Clark, the point was repeated made that he accepted FPI for MWI, so why not for Step 3. Step 3 is basically to introduce the idea of FPI, and hence form a link with the MWI of quantum mechanics. This may not always have been made explicit, but the intention is clear.

It is not made at all. people who criticize UDA always criticize what they add themselves to the reasoning. This is not valid. People who does that criticize only themselves, not the argument presented.

Step 3 does not succeed in this because the inference to FPI depends on a flawed concept of personal identity.

Step 3 leads to the FPI, and to see what happens next, there is step 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8. Then the translation in arithmetic show how to already extract the logic of the observable so that we might refute a form of comp (based on comp + the classical theory of knowledge). That main point there is that incompleteness refutes Socrates argument against the Theaetetus,

Which argument do you refer to? Theaetetus puts forward several theories of knowledge which Socrates attempts to refute.

That's true.
I was referring to the definition of knowledge by "true justified opinion": the passage from []A (rational opinion, justified proposition) to []A & A (justified opinion which is also true).

Incompleteness (the impossibility to prove []f -> f) gives an arithmetical sense to that move, as the logic of []A, which is G, will obey to a different logic than the logic of []A & A. []f does not imply f, from the machine's view, but []f & f does trivially imply f.

and we can almost directly retrieve the Parmenides-Plotinus "theology" in the discourse of the introspecting universal (Löbian) machine.

Bruno

Bruce

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com .