On 5/8/2015 1:00 AM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

<mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>>:

    On 5/7/2015 11:24 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
    If the string of bits is all that is required for conscious, then the cable
    connected to the camera, or the optic nerve would be visually conscious.
But I
    think those bits need to be interpreted, by the Mars Rover's software, or
by the
    visual cortex, for there to be visual quaila.

    You know they have been so interpreted when the Rover maneuvers around the
rock it saw.

Yes, but that's the software that does the interpretation... we did write the software in a way that when it read such or such data, it means in its context, it's a rock.

Not necessarily. Maybe the advanced AI computer on the Mars Rover is a wetware neural net that we evolved in simulations before putting it in the Rover and it has learned about rocks.

If there is no interpreter, no software, there is no meaning... But the software interprets what has context to it... that meaning is an internal notion, that does not preclude the absolute real realness outside the interpretation itself... Programs have only access to memory...

No, that's the point. Programs that can actually appear intelligent and so either be conscious or prove that philosophical zombies exist (which most people reject) also interact with the environment. I think you have and overly restrictive idea of program vs memory, the two are fungible there's no sharp difference. You can compute by where your program chooses to store bits.

For conscious program you should have stable "inputs", so the memory locations where the program "interact" with an inferred external world, must be stable enough to look like an external world...

But not so stable it doesn't change with new information. Human brains have a different model of the world than they did 400yrs ago, and I have a different model of what's in my garage than I did 15min ago.

that's enough to infer its existence and believe that from its POV it must be embedded in something bigger... platonia is bigger... way bigger than needed, that's why there should be a measure that explain the stability we see (again that's if and only if we are computational entities at the start... ie: if computationalism is true...)

I agree.

To be useful, there must be a tractable way (practical)

Computable?

that this measure could be extracted and compared to the world we experience... if not, even if conceptually it seems the best about consciousness and our real, it will stay as an in principle. The falsifiability must be able to be tested in practice... if not, I hardly see how one can say the theory is falsifiable.

That's more or less what I've been saying. The theory may be true but (almost) useless. It may be that finding the right measure to extract physics from the UD is like finding the "one time pad" for decoding the world. The argument leads one away from this because it assumes that consciousness can be this isolated process. That's why the MGA starts with assuming the consciousness is consciousness of a dream...to avoid the external references of the brain states. But the references are there anyway even if they're not from immediate perception.

I qualified that as "almost" useless, because it may explicate something about the mind-body problem even if we can't decode the measure.

Brent

Quentin

    Brent

    The bits alone are not enough. Otherwise sqrt(2) or Pi might as well be
theories of
    everything.

    Jason

    On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 1:19 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net