John,

See my preceding posts. I have already commented this. You get circular.

Bruno

On 29 May 2015, at 16:37, John Clark wrote:

On Fri, May 29, 2015  Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

>>> Wolfram is not an expert in logic.

>>And as has been demonstrated many times neither is Bruno Marchal.

> By who?

As demonstrated by Bruno Marchal of course.

>>>   A function computable by a physical device?

>> Obviously, unless you know of some other way to make a computation in the real world. I don't.

> Because you still avoid reading the original definition of Turing and Church.

You can't make a computation with a definition! But if you know how to make a computation without a physical device then do so; and I look forward to reading about you in the Wall Street Journal about how you became the world's first trillionaire by starting a computer hardware business with zero production costs.

>>> Church's thesis is not related to physics at all

>> I see. Church's thesis says that any problem in physics can be calculated on a Turing Machine,

> No. Church's thesis say only that intuitively computable is exhaustively captured by the Lambda Calculus formalism.

Wrong yet again. From Wolfram Mathworld, the makers of Mathematica:
"The Church-Turing thesis (formerly commonly known simply as Church's thesis) says that any real-world computation can be translated into an equivalent computation involving a Turing machine. In Church's original formulation (Church 1935, 1936), the thesis says that real-world calculation can be done using the lambda calculus, which is equivalent to using general recursive functions."

>> As I said, Bruno Marchal is not an expert on logic.

> Ah, it is you, the guy who stop at step 3. Like if that was an argument.

I lost interest at step 3 because step 3 was S-T-U-P-I-D.

  John K Clark