From: John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Sat, Jul 30, 2016 12:42 pm
Subject: That stupid diary

For some reason Bruno takes great stock in a written diary in his thought
experiment, but that evidence is worthless unless the identity of the writer
can be unambiguously established after all the duplications and all the visits
of various people to various cities is over. But Bruno says that as good as the
duplicating machine is "Nothing can duplicate a first person view from its
first person point of view, with or without computationalism. It just does not
make any sense. It duplicates only the 1-view in the 3-1 view picture." If
Bruno is correct then even after the duplication no more than one person wrote
" What one and only one city will I, that is to say my first person view from
my first person point of view, see after I am duplicated?" John Clark just
wants to know if that one person is in Moscow or Washington. The question has a
one word answer, so which word is it, Moscow or Washington?
On the other hand, if John Clark is right and computationalism is true then the
duplicating machine can duplicate everything about you, not everything except
for some sort of essence of self, not everything except for your consciousness,
not everything except for your immortal soul, not everything except for the
first person view from its first person point of view. If John Clark is right
the duplicating machine can duplicate EVERYTHING about you and the diary
doesn't have a one word answer or a answer of any kind because it's not a
question, it's just words with a question mark at the end.
And by the way, the very word "computationalism" means that a purely physical
system can duplicate EVERYTHING about you, perhaps that's why Bruno prefers the
homemade term "comp".
 John K Clark