On 5/4/2017 1:59 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 03 May 2017, at 23:46, Brent Meeker wrote:

On 5/3/2017 1:48 PM, David Nyman wrote:

        Depends on what you mean by comp.  You seem to engage in
        the same equivocation as Bruno.  On the one hand it means
        saying "yes" to the doctor.  On the other hand it means
        accepting his whole argument from that purportedly proving
        that physics is otiose.  So then the argument refers to
        itself and says if physics is otiose then the physics we
        observe must be that predicted by his theory.

    That's not it.. the thing is if *mind* is a computational
    object, then physics must be explained through computation,
    computations are not physical object... If physicalness is
    primary, then there aren't any computation, computations in a
    physically primary reality are only a "human view" on what is
    really going on.

    This an extreme reductionist view, i.e. if X is the fundamental
    ontology then only X exists. But that leads to nonsense: "If the
    standard model is fundamental ontology then football doesn't
    exist."  And it has the same affect of Bruno's theory: "If the
    basic ontology is computations then neither physics nor football
    exist."

It's not nonsense it's just the unvarnished consequence of the assumptions​. If the basic ontology is computation then both physics and football are shared epistemological constructions supervening on computation. Otherwise there's just computation and none the worse for that. But in any case I've been trying to persuade you to accept that football, for example, must be such a construction even on a purely physical basis.

Where I balk is at the "must". It's "must if Bruno's theory is right", but that's the question. If you interpret "exist" to apply only to the elements of the fundamental ontology, then in computationalism all that exists are the natural numbers, +, and * -- consciousness is as emergent as football. But semantics aside, a theory needs to predict things. What does Bruno's theory predict about consciousness:

Your beliefs are closed under logical inference,

That is the case only for the ideally correct machine that we need to extract physics. As a theory of human's belief, or any concrete agent's belief, it is not reasonable. But theology and physics is not human psychology, nor AI.

The prediction of comp? There is a physical reality, structured quantum logically by a statistics on many interfering computation and their internal povs.

It is only "quantum logically" in the sense of modeling uncertainty - which is a very weak prediction. It doesn't so far as can tell imply Hilbert space or projectors or complex numbers. If you could get to Hilbert space you might invoke Gleason's theorem, but I don't think Gleason's theorem applies to a space over C.

i.e. everything that follows from and subset of your beliefs is also believed. Is that true?...I doubt it.

Your thinking about arithmetic is unaffected by tequila?...not for me.

My looking at the sky is also affected by tequila, but that does not mean that the sky is a product of my brain.

Exactly why I used arithmetic as the example. Arithmetic, according to your theory of consciousness, is independent of perception and physics. Conscious thoughts, beliefs are entailed by arithmetic and so should be independent of tequila. You may object that you were only considering the ideal machine, a perfect reasoner, but in that case you are equivocating because you imply that the results of interviewing that ideal machine tell us about consciousness as we experience it.

This strikes me as so obvious as to brook little argument. Physics doesn't need any notion of football to evolve through the states of what someone, somehow will interpret as the World Cup. However I think you fudge it by your excessively loose (in my view) acceptance of what supposedly "exists". This is what allows you to dodge the otherwise compelling conclusions of a rigorous argument.

Rigor doesn't make an argument compelling. What I find compelling is confirmation of a surprising prediction.

I come from molecular biology, and I have used a lot quantum mechanics without taking seriously the wave. I studied QM in the already old books in french by Louis de Broglie, including his book on the measurement problem, where he defended his pilot wave and hidden variable theory, and i thought for a long time, that the quantum superposition never lasted more than a nanosecond. It is only later that a guy I trusted for his seriousness in physics keep insisting that an electron can exist in a superposition on long distance and time, and he gave me a copy of the EPR paper, and it is Bohr deceptively inaccurate answer

What (or should I ask "which") answer by Bohr do you consider deceptive. Bohr said that classical physics was logically prior to quantum physics. Every measurement, every datum, every record is a classical object, which is necessary in order that we can reach intersubjective agreement on the result of an experiment.

which will introduced me to the problem, and to the awareness it was serious.

At that time, I thought already that mechanism entails the many computations, and I knew that the white rabbit could dissolve only by adding computations/histories, and so I thought that "nature" was contradicting mechanism, as we did not have any evidence for "parallel world". yet, the same guy will give me a little article, by DeWitt, on Everett. I will almost immediately go to London, and buy the Graham-DeWitt book on the quantum many-worlds, and realized at that moment that QM confirms the most disturbing aspect of computationalism.

Since then, I am not sure about any theory explaining why a physical reality is apparent, and obeys a quantum logic of alternate histories. Like with Gödel's theorem, eventually I realized that QM is the best possible confirmation of computationalism,

But now you are using "computationalism" to mean the whole UD model. I wish you would introduce some clear terminology to distinguish that from the "yes, doctor" assumption.

until now. With Gödel's theorem, we get also the distinction between quanta and qualia, where physicalist just continue to put the qualia and consciousness under the rug.

But you don't get quanta and qualia - you get provable and true-but-not-provable. That seems to me to leave a very long way to go before you can justifiably call one quanta and the other qualia.

Until digital mechanism is refuted, I would say that it is the only theory which predict the appearance of matter, its "many-world" and quantum aspect, and this without eliminating the first person view (even giving to it a key role).

Except "its appearance of matter" is a prediction of the form "If this theory didn't predict matter it would be refuted, therefore it must predict matter. Hence, it predicts matter."

Brent

And this is not a critics of physics, as I used physics to measure the degree of plausibility of Mechanism. But it is a critics of all materialist theologies, the monist one and the dualist one alike. It is certainly a critics on physicalism, that's right.

"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
   --Don Knuth

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>.

http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/ <http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/%7Emarchal/>