On 5/6/2017 2:29 PM, David Nyman wrote:

On 6 May 2017 9:48 p.m., "Brent Meeker" <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 5/6/2017 10:07 AM, David Nyman wrote:

    On 4 May 2017 9:31 p.m., "Brent Meeker" <meeke...@verizon.net
    <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

        On 5/3/2017 11:22 PM, David Nyman wrote:

        On 3 May 2017 10:47 p.m., "Brent Meeker"
        <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

            On 5/3/2017 2:34 PM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

            Le 3 mai 2017 11:23 PM, "Brent Meeker"
            <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> a
            écrit :

                On 5/3/2017 1:32 PM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

                    This an extreme reductionist view, i.e. if X
                    is the fundamental ontology then only X
                    exists.  But that leads to nonsense: "If the
                    standard model is fundamental ontology then
                    football doesn't exist."

                But it's true, football does not exist in any
                ontological sense, and we are talking about ontology.

So neither Sherlock Holmes nor Donald Trump exist. That's certainly a relief.

            What about ontology don't you understand?

            I don't understand why atoms imply that things made of
            atoms don't exist.

        Ok, this the heart and core of the disagreement. Noone is
        saying that things made of atoms don't exist and your saying
        this is just setting up an easy straw man for you to
        pointlessly knock down. So what do you suppose that Quentin
        and I are saying here? I'll repeat it. "Extreme
        reductionism" as you call it (and what other kind is there
        unless you believe in some form of causally effective
        top-down emergence?) is the search for the ontological
        building blocks of a theory which themselves will remain
        unexplained but in terms of which all other ontological
        composition will be understood. That at least is the
        ambition. So if we say that atoms are the building blocks
        then the claim is that everything else is to be understood
        as the interactions of atoms (this is meant to be
        illustrative only).

        So what then is the status in the theory of "everything
        else" if such entities are merely ontologically composite
        and consequently at that fundamental level indistinguishable
        from the interactions​ of their components? The answer
        (obviously) is that their "concrete" or substantial
        emergence is perceptual, or epistemological as we like to
        say here. I suspect the fact that some people find this so
        hard to accept is not some intellectual barrier to
        understanding, since the distinction is in fact rather
        obvious, but because of a distaste for taking epistemology
        as a fundamental determinant of reality.

        Maybe some people, but one of my slogans is "Epistemology
        precedes ontology."

        Of course when we speak of epistemology here it's not merely
        its final neurocognitive stages we should have in mind, but
        the entire process of epistemological emergence of
        perceiving subjects and their environments​ from the posited
        ontological basis. For this of course we need an adequate
        theory that takes both aspects and in particular their
        peculiar entanglement into account.  And indeed​ it is only
        the ultimate explanatory success of such a theory that can
        justify the ascription of "existence" to anything above the
        level of the ontological base because, as you will recall,
        the whole point of the reductionist thrust is that this base
        is capable of explaining the evolution of its states
        entirely in its own terms, without any necessary reference
        to composition or emergence.

        I agree with that, except I would have ended the sentence at
        "anything".  It is the explanatory (plus predictive) success
        that justifies the existence of the ontological base as well
        as the theory built on it.  That's what I mean by
        epistemology precedes ontology.

        I would esteem it a courtesy if you would address the above
        argument directly, as distinct from changing the subject in
        line with your preferred way of thinking, as I would truly
        like to know what you think is wrong with it. As Bruno says,
        a different argument is not the same thing as a
        counter-argument.

        My "counter-argument", i.e. why I'm not convinced by Bruno's
        argument is two-fold.  First, I don't see any predictive
        success and only a little explanatory success.  And I see
        some predictive failure - although it's like string theory in
        that it seems difficult to say exactly what it predicts about
        human consciousness. Second, as an argument it is not a
        logical inference, it is a reductio. It starts from a
        physical classical computer can be substituted for you brain
        with no profound effect on your consciousness.  Then it
        purports to conclude that the physical aspect of the computer
        is irrelevant and simply the mathematical existence of
        computation in Platonia is enough to realize your
        consciousness.  Which is OK, but I think the consequence is
        overstated.  It is the mathematical existence of your
        thoughts AND the world they are about that is necessary to
        maintaining your consciousness.  So it becomes a (better,
        more explicit, more comprehensive) version of Tegmark's
        computational universe hypothesis.  Looked at another way it
        is saying the world is everything that is true in a model of
        some axioms (either Peano or Turing or...) and if you think
        this doesn't explain something about the world you're wrong
because it explains everything explainable and then some. But what explains everything fails to explain at all.

    I've never really been convinced by that slogan, frankly. Isn't
    QM, in a certain sense, supposed to encapsulate the explanation
    for everything? (I know it doesn't, but bear with me here). What
    I mean is that the point of a fundamental theory is supposed to
    be that it provides a unique basis for every explanation that, as
    it were, supervenes on it. In any case, if QM for example were
    indeed the TOE, then that would be the case whether we could
    explain it or not.

    Of course it's just an aphorism.  It means that if you have a
    theory that explains why X and also why not-X, it's not really
    explaining either one.  A TOE is supposed to only explain the X's
    that are observed.

    Thanks for your interesting remarks above (really) but in point
    of fact you didn't address my question. You originally said "I
    don't understand why atoms imply that things made of atoms don't
    exist." I gave you my view on the matter and asked you if you
    would be kind enough to tell me what you thought was wrong with
    it without changing the subject, but AFAICT you did in fact
    change the subject. If I ask you kindly again would you make
    another stab at it?

    Perhaps it's just a difference in semantics.  I don't regard
    reductionism as making the thing reduce unreal, anymore than I
    would regard synthesis as nullifying the base ontology.

But I went out of my way to explain that of course neither I, nor I assume Quentin to whom the remark was addressed, believe composite entities to be unreal. The distinction I was striving to make was between ontologically real and epistemologically real. By the way, I'm happy to grant your point that any theoretical ontology must also be judged, like any of its derivatives, by its ultimate explanatory success. The point seemed too obvious to state. But in any case, when you consider any reductive theory from the ground up, as it were, then anything we take to be real above that ground level must be both ontologically real (elementary) and epistemologically or perceptually real (composite). Perhaps what can make this hard to see (if indeed it is) is that we can't avoid implicitly viewing the situation from an already-interpreted point of view. IOW, we can't help *seeing* things in a concrete or substantial way and hence take this view for granted rather than reconsidering its provenance from first principles.

Implicit in talking that way, "provenance" "first principles" "can't avoid", is an assumption that you have the right reductionist theory and so the perceptions which led you to it are "less real" or "illusory". That's logical enough IF you have the right theory. My point is that you never know if the theory (and it's ontology) is right. That's what I mean by epistemology precedes ontology. We infer the theory and the ontology from experience, so the epistemology is prior. Even though we're explaining experience in terms of things not experienced (numbers, quarks, fields,...) it is the experience that is the concrete. We're not just "taking it for granted" we must take it for our explanandum.

Brent

David

    Brent

    David

        Brent

        David

            Brent
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to
            the Google Groups "Everything List" group.
            from it, send an email to
            <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.
            To post to this group, send email to
            everything-list@googlegroups.com
            Visit this group at
            https://groups.google.com/group/everything-list
            <https://groups.google.com/group/everything-list>.
            For more options, visit
            https://groups.google.com/d/optout

    send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>.