On 4 May 2017 9:31 p.m., "Brent Meeker" <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

On 5/3/2017 11:22 PM, David Nyman wrote:

On 3 May 2017 10:47 p.m., "Brent Meeker" <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

On 5/3/2017 2:34 PM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

Le 3 mai 2017 11:23 PM, "Brent Meeker" <meeke...@verizon.net> a écrit :

On 5/3/2017 1:32 PM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

This an extreme reductionist view, i.e. if X is the fundamental ontology
then only X exists.  But that leads to nonsense: "If the standard model is
fundamental ontology then football doesn't exist."

But it's true, football does not exist in any ontological sense, and we are
talking about ontology.

So neither Sherlock Holmes nor Donald Trump exist.  That's certainly a
relief.

What about ontology don't you understand?

I don't understand why atoms imply that things made of atoms don't exist.

Ok, this the heart and core of the disagreement. Noone is saying that
things made of atoms don't exist and your saying this is just setting up an
easy straw man for you to pointlessly knock down. So what do you suppose
that Quentin and I are saying here? I'll repeat it. "Extreme reductionism"
as you call it (and what other kind is there unless you believe in some
form of causally effective top-down emergence?) is the search for the
ontological building blocks of a theory which themselves will remain
unexplained but in terms of which all other ontological composition will be
understood. That at least is the ambition. So if we say that atoms are the
building blocks then the claim is that everything else is to be understood
as the interactions of atoms (this is meant to be illustrative only).

So what then is the status in the theory of "everything else" if such
entities are merely ontologically composite and consequently at that
fundamental level indistinguishable from the interactions​ of their
components? The answer (obviously) is that their "concrete" or substantial
emergence is perceptual, or epistemological as we like to say here. I
suspect the fact that some people find this so hard to accept is not some
intellectual barrier to understanding, since the distinction is in fact
rather obvious, but because of a distaste for taking epistemology as a
fundamental determinant of reality.

Maybe some people, but one of my slogans is "Epistemology precedes
ontology."

Of course when we speak of epistemology here it's not merely its final
neurocognitive stages we should have in mind, but the entire process of
epistemological emergence of perceiving subjects and their environments​
from the posited ontological basis. For this of course we need an adequate
theory that takes both aspects and in particular their peculiar
entanglement into account.  And indeed​ it is only the ultimate explanatory
success of such a theory that can justify the ascription of "existence" to
anything above the level of the ontological base because, as you will
recall, the whole point of the reductionist thrust is that this base is
capable of explaining the evolution of its states entirely in its own
terms, without any necessary reference to composition or emergence.

I agree with that, except I would have ended the sentence at "anything".
It is the explanatory (plus predictive) success that justifies the
existence of the ontological base as well as the theory built on it.
That's what I mean by epistemology precedes ontology.

I would esteem it a courtesy if you would address the above argument
directly, as distinct from changing the subject in line with your preferred
way of thinking, as I would truly like to know what you think is wrong with
it. As Bruno says, a different argument is not the same thing as a
counter-argument.

My "counter-argument", i.e. why I'm not convinced by Bruno's argument is
two-fold.  First, I don't see any predictive success and only a little
explanatory success.  And I see some predictive failure - although it's
like string theory in that it seems difficult to say exactly what it
predicts about human consciousness.  Second, as an argument it is not a
logical inference, it is a reductio.  It starts from a physical classical
computer can be substituted for you brain with no profound effect on your
consciousness.  Then it purports to conclude that the physical aspect of
the computer is irrelevant and simply the mathematical existence of
computation in Platonia is enough to realize your consciousness.  Which is
OK, but I think the consequence is overstated.  It is the mathematical
existence of your thoughts AND the world they are about that is necessary
to maintaining your consciousness.  So it becomes a (better, more explicit,
more comprehensive) version of Tegmark's computational universe
hypothesis.  Looked at another way it is saying the world is everything
that is true in a model of some axioms (either Peano or Turing or...) and
if you think this doesn't explain something about the world you're wrong
because it explains everything explainable and then some.  But what
explains everything fails to explain at all.

I've never really been convinced by that slogan, frankly. Isn't QM, in a
certain sense, supposed to encapsulate the explanation for everything? (I
know it doesn't, but bear with me here). What I mean is that the point of a
fundamental theory is supposed to be that it provides a unique basis for
every explanation that, as it were, supervenes on it. In any case, if QM
for example were indeed the TOE, then that would be the case whether we
could explain it or not.

Thanks for your interesting remarks above (really) but in point of fact you
didn't address my question. You originally said "I don't understand why
atoms imply that things made of atoms don't exist." I gave you my view on
the matter and asked you if you would be kind enough to tell me what you
thought was wrong with it without changing the subject, but AFAICT you did
in fact change the subject. If I ask you kindly again would you make
another stab at it?

David

Brent

David