On 5/6/2017 10:07 AM, David Nyman wrote:

On 4 May 2017 9:31 p.m., "Brent Meeker" <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 5/3/2017 11:22 PM, David Nyman wrote:

    On 3 May 2017 10:47 p.m., "Brent Meeker" <meeke...@verizon.net
    <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

        On 5/3/2017 2:34 PM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

        Le 3 mai 2017 11:23 PM, "Brent Meeker" <meeke...@verizon.net
        <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> a écrit :

            On 5/3/2017 1:32 PM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

                This an extreme reductionist view, i.e. if X is the
                fundamental ontology then only X exists.  But that
                leads to nonsense: "If the standard model is
                fundamental ontology then football doesn't exist."

            But it's true, football does not exist in any
            ontological sense, and we are talking about ontology.

So neither Sherlock Holmes nor Donald Trump exist. That's certainly a relief.

        What about ontology don't you understand?

        I don't understand why atoms imply that things made of atoms
        don't exist.

    Ok, this the heart and core of the disagreement. Noone is saying
    that things made of atoms don't exist and your saying this is
    just setting up an easy straw man for you to pointlessly knock
    down. So what do you suppose that Quentin and I are saying here?
    I'll repeat it. "Extreme reductionism" as you call it (and what
    other kind is there unless you believe in some form of causally
    effective top-down emergence?) is the search for the ontological
    building blocks of a theory which themselves will remain
    unexplained but in terms of which all other ontological
    composition will be understood. That at least is the ambition. So
    if we say that atoms are the building blocks then the claim is
    that everything else is to be understood as the interactions of
    atoms (this is meant to be illustrative only).

    So what then is the status in the theory of "everything else" if
    such entities are merely ontologically composite and consequently
    at that fundamental level indistinguishable from the
    interactions​ of their components? The answer (obviously) is that
    their "concrete" or substantial emergence is perceptual, or
    epistemological as we like to say here. I suspect the fact that
    some people find this so hard to accept is not some intellectual
    barrier to understanding, since the distinction is in fact rather
    obvious, but because of a distaste for taking epistemology as a
    fundamental determinant of reality.

    Maybe some people, but one of my slogans is "Epistemology precedes
    ontology."

    Of course when we speak of epistemology here it's not merely its
    final neurocognitive stages we should have in mind, but the
    entire process of epistemological emergence of perceiving
    subjects and their environments​ from the posited ontological
    basis. For this of course we need an adequate theory that takes
    both aspects and in particular their peculiar entanglement into
    account.  And indeed​ it is only the ultimate explanatory success
    of such a theory that can justify the ascription of "existence"
    to anything above the level of the ontological base because, as
    you will recall, the whole point of the reductionist thrust is
    that this base is capable of explaining the evolution of its
    states entirely in its own terms, without any necessary reference
    to composition or emergence.

    I agree with that, except I would have ended the sentence at
    "anything".  It is the explanatory (plus predictive) success that
    justifies the existence of the ontological base as well as the
    theory built on it.  That's what I mean by epistemology precedes
    ontology.

    I would esteem it a courtesy if you would address the above
    argument directly, as distinct from changing the subject in line
    with your preferred way of thinking, as I would truly like to
    know what you think is wrong with it. As Bruno says, a different
    argument is not the same thing as a counter-argument.

    My "counter-argument", i.e. why I'm not convinced by Bruno's
    argument is two-fold.  First, I don't see any predictive success
    and only a little explanatory success.  And I see some predictive
    failure - although it's like string theory in that it seems
    difficult to say exactly what it predicts about human
    consciousness.  Second, as an argument it is not a logical
    inference, it is a reductio.  It starts from a physical classical
    computer can be substituted for you brain with no profound effect
    on your consciousness. Then it purports to conclude that the
    physical aspect of the computer is irrelevant and simply the
    mathematical existence of computation in Platonia is enough to
    realize your consciousness.  Which is OK, but I think the
    consequence is overstated.  It is the mathematical existence of
    your thoughts AND the world they are about that is necessary to
    maintaining your consciousness.  So it becomes a (better, more
    explicit, more comprehensive) version of Tegmark's computational
    universe hypothesis.  Looked at another way it is saying the world
    is everything that is true in a model of some axioms (either Peano
    or Turing or...) and if you think this doesn't explain something
    about the world you're wrong because it explains everything
    explainable and then some.  But what explains everything fails to
    explain at all.

I've never really been convinced by that slogan, frankly. Isn't QM, in a certain sense, supposed to encapsulate the explanation for everything? (I know it doesn't, but bear with me here). What I mean is that the point of a fundamental theory is supposed to be that it provides a unique basis for every explanation that, as it were, supervenes on it. In any case, if QM for example were indeed the TOE, then that would be the case whether we could explain it or not.

Of course it's just an aphorism. It means that if you have a theory that explains why X and also why not-X, it's not really explaining either one. A TOE is supposed to only explain the X's that are observed.

Thanks for your interesting remarks above (really) but in point of fact you didn't address my question. You originally said "I don't understand why atoms imply that things made of atoms don't exist." I gave you my view on the matter and asked you if you would be kind enough to tell me what you thought was wrong with it without changing the subject, but AFAICT you did in fact change the subject. If I ask you kindly again would you make another stab at it?

Perhaps it's just a difference in semantics. I don't regard reductionism as making the thing reduce unreal, anymore than I would regard synthesis as nullifying the base ontology.

Brent

David

    Brent

    David

        Google Groups "Everything List" group.
        it, send an email to
        <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.
        To post to this group, send email to
        everything-list@googlegroups.com
        Visit this group at
        https://groups.google.com/group/everything-list
        <https://groups.google.com/group/everything-list>.
        <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

    Google Groups "Everything List" group.
    send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>.