Le 3 mai 2017 22:27, "Brent Meeker" <meeke...@verizon.net> a écrit :

On 5/3/2017 12:54 PM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

> On 5/3/2017 9:47 AM, David Nyman wrote:
>

> On 2 May 2017 11:18 p.m., "Brent Meeker" <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>

> On 5/2/2017 2:29 PM, David Nyman wrote:
>

> On 2 May 2017 9:57 p.m., "Brent Meeker" <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>

> On 5/2/2017 1:09 PM, David Nyman wrote:
>

> On 2 May 2017 7:21 p.m., "Brent Meeker" <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>

> On 5/2/2017 1:01 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>
> Your answer seems to be that physics can be an illusion of digital
> thought, therefore primary physics is otiose.  But thought can't be a
> consequence of physics because....well you just don't see how it could be.
>

> Not at all. It cannot be because you need to give a role to the primary
> matter which is not emulable by the UD, nor FPI-recoverable.
>

> The obvious "role" is that some things exist and some don't.  I don't know
> anyone who calls this "primary matter", but it's what is not UD emulable.
>

> But what are your grounds for discriminating which things exist and which
> don't?
>

> Empiricism.
>

> That's a slogan not an explanation.
>

> That's right - you asked for grounds.
>

> I think you could be more helpful than this.
>

> If anything, it strikes me that the history of human enquiry is rather
> conducive to the view that whatever limits we try to impose on "what
> exists" are in all likelihood destined soon to be surpassed.
>

> Actually it has been the reverse.  Relativity places a limit on speed,
> quantum mechanics places a limit on measurements, Goedel found a limit on
> proofs.  Laplace was the last physicist who thought we could predict
> everything.  We haven't been the center of the universe for a long time.
>

> Very selective. What about the string landscape, eternal inflation or for
> that matter the CUH? Maybe you'll say that these are as yet unproven
> hypotheses, but are you willing to say in principle​ they're barking up the
> wrong tree?
>

> Except for eternal inflation, they aren't even developed enough to be
> hypotheses.  I'm willing to bet that they will imply limits on what
> exists.  Even CUH does that, it implies real numbers and theories that
> assume them don't exist.
>

> Sure, but my point is that all these ideas lead to a broader ontology than
> you seemed to be suggesting: i.e the theoretical recipe for what exists and
> what doesn't extends beyond the physics we observe locally. But even comp
> doesn't claim that *everything* exists. In fact its ontology is extremely
> restrictive.
>

> In any case, I still don't see that you've made a convincing argument for
> your "groundless" circular explanations.
>

> It's not an argument - it's an observation that that's the way
> explanations work.
>

> Not all explanations. And in particular not ontological ones.
>

> You mean the fundamental elements of a theory - whose existence doesn't
> have an explanation.  My idea of an explanation is one that brings
> understanding - not just stops explaining.

> [...]

That's not it.. the thing is if *mind* is a computational object, then
physics must be explained through computation, computations are not
physical object... If physicalness is primary, then there aren't any
computation, computations in a physically primary reality are only a "human
view" on what is really going on.

This an extreme reductionist view, i.e. if X is the fundamental ontology
then only X exists.  But that leads to nonsense: "If the standard model is
fundamental ontology then football doesn't exist."

But it's true, football does not exist in any ontological sense, and we are
talking about ontology.

And it has the same affect of Bruno's theory: "If the basic ontology is
computations then neither physics nor football exist."

.. Again if in this setting and you believe that mind is a sort of
computation, imagine we capture your mind with a (though correct)
program... then we run it on a different hardware... will it be conscious ?
we run it 3x slower than real time ? still conscious ? 10x slower ? ... 10x
faster ? (assuming each time we fed it an "external" virtual world inputs
at the correct rate)

I have imagined that.  It's part of Bruno's step 7 and 8.  First, I don't
think it sufficient to "capture ones mind".  I think to be conscious also
means to be able to act - but that's a quibble.  The basic point is that I
think you would have to simulate a virtual world in which Brent2.0 would be
conscious.  And that case you've not eliminated physics, you've simulated
it.

I think the questions I posed to David about Mars Rover design are the
interesting and important ones.  A theory that can't discuss the
differences of consciousness between a jumping spider and Watson is not in
my view very interesting.