On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 at 12:03 pm, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 30, 2017  Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ​> ​
>> If the experiment is repeated many times all the copies will say that, in
>> their recollection, about half the time they ended up in Moscow and half
>> the time in Washington, and they couldn't predict which city it would be.
>

> ​
> Can't predict? What are you taking about, you just predicted it! If the
> process were iterated N times times then all 2^N copies will remember
> spending half their time in Moscow and half in Washington
> ​,​
> and none will see 2 cities at the same time; and this is not gibberish
> because the 2^N copies are looking from the present into the past and are
> just being asked what they remember, they are NOT being asked to look from
> the present to the future in a world with 1p duplicating machines and
> predict who will get some mysterious thing nobody can define or point to
> called "*THE* the 1p",

The copies will each have a memory of going into the machine and ending up
in one or other city each time. They will also remember that each time they
could not predict which city they ended up in - it was like a coin toss. So
if asked what they will expect in future they will say that it will feel
like they will end up in one or other city, but they can't predict which.
That is why they would put both roubles and dollars in their pockets. If
the they did not make provisions for their future selves, the copies who
have memories of being stubborn decision-makers (due to a belief that
personal pronouns are now gibberish) would suffer. Eventually, they would
change their decision-making.

​> ​
>> So the next time they went into the machine they would take roubles as
>> well as dollars, to cover both possibilities.
>

> ​Please explain just how this bets works. When its all over who decided
> who gets the rubles and dollars and how do they make that judgement? ​
> ​Yes I know the ONE ​who gets *THE *the 1p gets the money, but exactly
> what is *THE* the 1p and how is it determined who has gotten it?

Simpler than a bet, they put the dollars or roubles in their pockets and
the money gets duplicated along with the person. (This is allowed by
central banks because the inflationary effect is offset by the increase in
population.)

> --
Stathis Papaioannou