On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 11:10 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> ​>
>>> ​>>​
>>> ​After duplication, one copy has THE experience of being the one in
>>> Washington, and the other copy has THE experience of being the one in Moscow
>>
>> ​>> ​
>> Therefore before duplication asking
>> ​ ​
>> "What one and only one city will my
>> ​ ​
>> THE first person experience end up in, Moscow or Washington?" would be a
>> very silly thing to ask,
>

> ​> ​
> If we talk about the body, or the person seen from outside, yes, that
> would be silly.
> ​ ​
> But if we talk about the unique first person experience that anyone would
> live after that duplication, the question

​The question was asked BEFORE the duplication and it was asked to one and
only one man and the question was this "What one and only one city will my
*THE* first person experience end up in, Moscow or Washington?". So AFTER
the duplication in retrospect knowing all there is to know what would have
been the correct answer to the question asked by that one and only one man,
was the one and only one city Moscow or Washington? If that question can't
be answered by one of those 2 words even in retrospect then it wasn't a
question, it was just a sequence of ASCII characters with a question mark
at the end.

​>​
>  makes as much sense as asking the probability of HEAD when throwing a
> coin.

In retrospect after I flip the coin I can do far better than just give a
probability, in retrospect I know the correct answer to the question "will
this coin fall heads or tails?" was "tails with 100% certainty".  I didn't
know that was the correct answer before the flip but I did after. And this
is not limited to classical physics, when I shoot an electron through 2
slits in retrospect I can get rid of probabilities entirely and say the
correct answer to the question "where on the screen will the electron hit
after it passes the slits?" should have been "exactly precisely at that
spot I'm pointing at and nowhere else". I didn't know that was the answer
then but I do now. So both those questions were legitimate because they had
answers, I didn't know what those answers were beforehand but they had
answers that I discovered later. In contrast the answer to the "question"
you ask is not just unknown it is nonexistent, and that's not surprising, a
​n​
answer can't exist if there is no question.

​
>> ​>>​
>> Not only "will be", it would be the same with "has become". Even AFTER
>> the event is long over NOBODY can determine which ONE ended up with the "
>> *THE*".
>

> ​> ​
> NOBODY outside the bow. But the old Clark in Moscow, and the old Clark in
> Washington knows perfectly well which first person experience they have
> lived.

But the question was NOT asked by Moscow Clark or by Washington Clark!
Helsinki Clark is the ONE who asked the question and specifically demanded
the name of one and only one city. You can't answer Helsinki Clark's
question and you're not alone, even God can't answer it because it's not a
question. Question marks just don't have the power to turn gibberish into
questions, not even if they're placed at the end.

​John​
 K Clark