On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 10:37 PM, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com>
wrote:

​>> ​
>> ​
>> If the process were iterated N times times then all 2^N copies will
>> remember spending half their time in Moscow and half in Washington
>> ​,​
>>  and none will see 2 cities at the same time; and this is not gibberish
>> because the 2^N copies are looking from the present into the past and are
>> just being asked what they remember, they are NOT being asked to look from
>> the present to the future in a world with 1p duplicating machines and
>> predict who will get some mysterious thing nobody can define or point to
>> called "*THE* the 1p",
>>

> ​> ​
> The copies will each have a memory of going into the machine and ending up
> in one or other city each time.

​Yes.

​> ​
> They will also remember that each time they could not predict which city
> they ended up in - it was like a coin toss. So if asked what they will
> expect in future they will say that it will feel like they will end up in
> one or other city, but they can't predict which.

​You seem to believe the past and future are symmetrical and so can be
treated the same way, but they are not. We can remember the past but not
the future. Yes looking back it makes sense to say " back 5 copies ago I
couldn't predict what city I will be in but now I know" because now the
meaning of the word "I" is clear in the context of the person using the
word. However back then it would make no sense to say "I can't predict what
city I will be in after 5 copies" because then the word "I"  was not
uniquely defined, 32 (2^5) individuals will have a equal claim to the title
"I" and nobody can say which one of the 32 people named Mr. I the
prediction is supposed to be about.

But even with people duplicating machines you can always trace a unique
path from the present into the past and say which one of the many copies
was you and which ones were not, but that can never be done into the future
because the word "you" is undefined if you are about to be duplicated. This
really shouldn't be a surprise, if it were not true then you couldn't tell
the difference between the past and the future. And you can.

​
>> ​>> ​
>> Please explain just how this bets works. When its all over who decided
>> who gets the rubles and dollars and how do they make that judgement? ​
>> ​Yes I know the ONE ​who gets *THE *the 1p gets the money, but exactly
>> what is *THE* the 1p and how is it determined who has gotten it?
>>

> ​> ​
> Simpler than a bet, they put the dollars or roubles in their pockets and
> the money gets duplicated along with the person.

​This entire thing is suposed to be a step toward forging a link between
the objective and the subjective, but if it's not a bet, if after the
conclusion of it all the winners and losers can not be objectively
determined then it can't do that. it's not a experiment, it's not a thought
experiment, it's not even a bad thought experiment; it's just a matter of
personal preference that could be based on anything or on nothing at all.
It can teach us nothing about the nature of reality because there is no
disputing matters of taste.

 John K Clark