On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 6:36 PM, <agrayson2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ​> ​
> Feynman, who wasn't an MWI enthusiast
> ​ [...]

*​"​Political scientist" L David Raub reports a poll of 72 of the "leading
cosmologists and other quantum field theorists" about the "Many-Worlds
Interpretation" ​[...] Amongst the "Yes, I think MWI is true" crowd listed
are Stephen Hawking and Nobel Laureates Murray Gell-Mann and Richard
Feynman. Gell-Mann and Hawking recorded reservations with the name
"many-worlds", but not with the theory's content. Nobel Laureate Steven
Weinberg is also mentioned as a many-worlder​"​ *

https://www.hedweb.com/everett/everett.htm#believes

​But to be fair, Feynman wasn't exactly a enthusiast, I think he believed
Many Worlds was the the least bad quantum interpretation but he wasn't
really a fan of philosophy and had sympathy for the "shut up and calculate"
​quantum interpretation.

> ​> ​
> no human observer is necessary to perform a quantum experiment.

​Hey you don't have to convince me that an observer is not needed ​for
something to exist in one definite state, but then I'm not a fan of
Copenhagen.

> ​> ​
> If the detector is designed for a which-way measurement, the interference
> is destroyed.

​If the which way information is retained the interference pattern is
destroyed, if the information ​
​is destroyed then you have interference, and that is what Many Worlds
predicts.   ​

> ​>> ​
>> The very heart the Copenhagen interpretation is that things do not have
>> definite properties
>> ​before​
>>  they are measured,
>>

> ​> ​
> Wrong.

* ​"​According to the Copenhagen interpretation, physical systems generally
do not have definite properties prior to being measured​"​*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copenhagen_interpretation

> ​> ​
> Your claim only applies in a special situation of quantum experiments
> which manifest interference effects.

I agree, interference effects
​ only manifest in special circumstances, when a world splits become
different and then the two evolve in such a way that the two become
identical again and so merge back together, and that is only likely to
happen if the difference between the two worlds is very small; that's why
we don't see weird quantum stuff in our macro world, like in the Earth Moon
system.

 John K Clark    ​

​