On 1/16/2018 11:54 PM, 'Chris de Morsella' via Everything List wrote:

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android <https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/mobile/?.src=Android>

    On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 9:19 PM, Brent Meeker
    <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

    On 1/16/2018 8:55 PM, 'Chris de Morsella' via Everything List wrote:
    --What is the craziest AI application you can think of?

    A machine learned pet translator perhaps... they're actually
    working on that app, Amazon amongst others.
    So, it seems the big players Google as well, are running in that
    race... think of the potential market of pet owners forking over
    their hard earned money to hear what the Google machine is
    telling them their dog is telling them. I can imagine the
    marketing folks dreaming about that market. As an aside also a
    commentary on how out of touch, we humans have become from the
    world in which we exist. People already understand dog language :)

    Of course teaching the AI requires lots of training examples, so
    you will need people to translate what their dog is saying to
    create the training examples.  Google will probably try to get
    people to do this online, similar to the way they got visual
    identification training examples.  But the really interesting
    point is that not only do people understand dogs, it's also the
    case that dogs understand people.  So when Google's dog->human
    translate says, "Fido says the mailman is here." will Fido be able
    to listen to that and say, "Rowf" -> "That's right."?

    We might not want to always hear what our animals are saying about
    us behind our backs... I see a potential law suit hehe  :)

    I believe, only half joking here... that a training set already
    exists somewhat in the public domain. In the ever growing
    historical repository comprised of all those pet videos uploaded
    online, and that dataset probably contains vast numbers of clips
    of people trying to understand their pet vocalizations as well as
    dogs (and to a lesser degree more aloof cats) listening intently
    to what their people are saying. In fact I bet that a substantial
    body of raw video feed exists even for more exotic
    human-other-species interactions... say parrots... tegu lizards
    perhaps... cute little rodents.. gold fish... tarantulas... you
    name it.
    A vast body of historical feed already exists.

If we use that Google translations will turn all dogs into standup comedians.  :-)