Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 12:04 PM, Brent Meeker<meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

 On 1/16/2018 11:54 PM, 'Chris de Morsella' via Everything List wrote:

 Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 9:19 PM, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

 On 1/16/2018 8:55 PM, 'Chris de Morsella' via Everything List wrote:

 --What is the craziest AI application you can think of?
  A machine learned pet translator perhaps... they're actually working on that
app, Amazon amongst others. So, it seems the big players Google as well, are
running in that race... think of the potential market of pet owners forking
over their hard earned money to hear what the Google machine is telling them
their dog is telling them. I can imagine the marketing folks  dreaming about
that market. As an aside also a commentary on how out of touch, we humans have
become from the world in which we exist. People already understand dog language
:)

 Of course teaching the AI requires lots of training examples, so you will need
people to translate what their dog is saying to create the training examples.
Google will probably try to get people to do this online, similar to the way
they got visual identification training examples.  But the really interesting
point is that not only do people understand dogs, it's also the case that dogs
understand people.  So when Google's dog->human translate says, "Fido says the
mailman is here." will Fido be able to listen to that and say, "Rowf" ->
"That's right."?

 We might not want to always hear what our animals are saying about us behind
our backs... I see a potential law suit hehe  :)
  I believe, only half joking here... that a training set already exists
somewhat in the public domain. In the ever growing historical repository
comprised of all those pet videos uploaded online, and that dataset probably
contains vast numbers of clips of people trying to understand their  pet
vocalizations as well as dogs (and to a lesser degree more aloof cats)
listening intently to what their people are saying. In fact I bet that a
substantial body of raw video feed exists even for more exotic
human-other-species interactions... say parrots... tegu lizards perhaps...
cute little rodents.. gold fish... tarantulas... you name it. A vast body of
historical feed already exists.

 If we use that Google translations will turn all dogs into standup comedians.
:-)

 Brent

That would be a case of over-fitting on biased data. 😊
-Chris